False Ammonia Readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

H2OJO

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All

I went to do a water test this evening using an API Test Kit, and to my horror the ammonia reading was coming out at 4.0PPM! :eek:

I forgot to let the colours develop as i was preoccupied, so saw it was just over .25 and did the water change.

Now, I dont think any of the fish in the tank would survive 4.0PPM, so I am absolutely sure this reading was incorrect.

I am using API water conditioner, as I have heard that Prime can bring up false results.

Did the water change, and the Ammonia is now 0. This was only taking out 20 litres from a 64 litre tank, so if the reading really was 4PPM, i dont think it would have gone to 0 so quickly and would still expect a higher reading on the second test.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what might have caused it to read so high?

Shake the bottle really hard, then test again. Wait 5 mins after you add the drops and shake the tube really well. Sometimes I get screwy ammo readings too, but this usually solves it.

Hi All

I went to do a water test this evening using an API Test Kit, and to my horror the ammonia reading was coming out at 4.0PPM! :eek:

I forgot to let the colours develop as i was preoccupied, so saw it was just over .25 and did the water change.

Now, I dont think any of the fish in the tank would survive 4.0PPM, so I am absolutely sure this reading was incorrect.

I am using API water conditioner, as I have heard that Prime can bring up false results.

Did the water change, and the Ammonia is now 0. This was only taking out 20 litres from a 64 litre tank, so if the reading really was 4PPM, i dont think it would have gone to 0 so quickly and would still expect a higher reading on the second test.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what might have caused it to read so high?

How old is the test kit? Age and storage will effect its reliability.
Does it use Nesslers Reagent? If so, don't shake the tube, just swirl it round gently.

Done a few more tests recently and they have bee fine. Ammonia not moved from zero for a week. Still don't know what caused the reading! Test kit about 6 months old.

Back
Top Bottom