False? True? Clownfish???????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most of the guys you'll find in the pet shops are Ocellarius Clowns or "false percs"

These are usually the tank breed variety and they look much prettier than what you see in the pics on that site. (I have two of them in my gallery)

If you want true Percs, they will most likely be wild caught.

thelovablebum said:
heres a site that shows you the difference between the two

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/clownfishcare/l/blpercula.htm

Ocellaris adult size is bigger than percs. Ocellaris have less black on body. Ocellaris grow faster and considered more hardy of the two. Ocellaris are usually cheaper than percs.

I don't agree with the this statement it makes about ocellaris "It never has the black edged borders around its white bars. "
That's not completelty true. I've seen many ocellaris with black borders. I've even owned a couple.
img_361661_0_bf2a84339370fb2f32d24d78a5357de6.jpg

I also find it very hard to count the dorsal spines on a moving fish. Many clown breeders will tell you that this method is not very good because ocellaris and percs can both have 10 or 11 spines.

The quickest way to tell the two apart is by looking at it's eye. Ocellaris wil have a muddy looking outer ring( see pic above). Percs will have a clearer outer ring(see pic below).
img_361661_1_a3a14dadac6ee1b1c0799a3f94b6f342.jpg

You can also buy captive bred percs but it isn't as common as ocellaris. IMO it's because percs growth rates are a lot slower when compared to ocellaris and rreeders are able to pump out more ocellaris to be ready for sale because of this.

well now my Ocellaris have distinct black lines between the orange and white, but their eyes are not as dark as your pic Klam....

However, they definatly do seem to be Ocellaris....hmm...

Using the eye method is the quickest and most accurate way to distinguish the two. Sometimes ocellaris eyes are not as muddy but if you look at a percs eye you will be able to tell it's a perc for sure. Ocellaris tend to be a little more difficult to ID because of that. There are many percs that don't have a lot of black on there bodies either and look jsut like ocellaris, this where the eye method helps. Like anything there is always the exception to the rule.

I've read many many post of the for this question on telling them apart. Almost everytime well know clown fish breeders will say look at the eyes, it's a dead giveaway. This is the method I use now. In the beginings I use to try and count the spines, that never worked very well on a moving fish.

Back
Top Bottom