Family Fun Biocube 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desastre

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been doing freshwater planted tanks for about 5 years while living in PR and have gotten out of the hobby after moving to South Dakota. I agreed with my girlfriend the first tank will be a SW so she can have Nemo go figure. Now with my first son 3 months away I have finally gone full swing to getting back into the hobby. I've literally had this biocube sitting in my living room empty for the past year while getting ready doing research and making sure I was ready as I can be and the time has come. So have everything ordered and have already told my 8 yr old nephew that the time has come as he has also been waiting for this moment as well. I figure get them hooked in the hobby early and show them the joy. So the tank was a steal on Craigslist for $50 with stand so hard to pass up at the time. It was fun to clean but enough vinegar gets everything cleaned.
So now finally in full swing. Got the first chamber false floor knocked out and my intank Media basket has already arrived. Ordered 30 lbs of base rock from reef cleaners which should arrive any day and Amazon has become my new best friend for everything else. So waiting on 20lbs or aragonite sand. 425 koralia power head, api saltwater kit, thermometer and heaters, 160g instant ocean salt, chemipure, purigen, ofc refractometer, and small led light for my attempt at growing Chaeto in the back.
Knock on wood I bought an rodi while living in Puerto Rico and that's one of the few things I actually brought with me and I bought some eggcrate today for a DIY basket for the Chaeto in the back. Already warned my GF and our nephew of the long cycle process but they both know it's worth it to ensure everything comes out right and the fish are happy.

So everything should arrive this week so I hope to start putting up pictures of the progress after July 4th weekend. Wish me luck.

I plan on getting my CUC when the time comes from reef cleaners also so that will take the guess work out of that, but I wouldn't mind suggestions for other colorful fish that I could add with the two Clownfish. Not trying to overload my system so maybe 2 possibly 3 more fish max to add to the tank. Especially since I'd probably add them first to avoid clownfish aggression.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Wouldn't do 5 fish in a 29 unless they were a type of the smaller gobies. So clowns are gonna be a tad aggressive as all damsels are. A borrowing shrimp/ goby pair would be great as it gives them a safe place to retreat. I agree on the chalk bass to be a good fit or even one of the smaller wrasse. A cardinal or two, plenty of blends to chose from

Thank you for the ideas. The chalk bass really peaked my interest. Looks really good.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The best thing for stocking in the salty side of this hobby is browsing everywhere. Live aquaria is the best in my opinion for stocking list

Thank you for the suggestion. Yeah I know the site well already but always good to hear other people's suggestions. Helps me take closer look at fish I've over looked. Think I may add that chalk bass and a diamond watchman goby to my clowns and call it good.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Rock and a majority of the rest of the equip arrived Friday. Rock looks great. Unfortunately the salt pail got damaged and was returned but Amazon paid for overnight shipping for the second shipment so should arrive Tuesday. Look forward to getting everything situated tomorrow while waiting for the salt. Have my egg rate built fuge basket fitting snug next to my intank Media Basket. And also have my replacement pump and fuge light on the way. Look forward to posting some pics this week. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436148251.724868.jpg

I really liked my 29g biocube, I think they are a great entry level tank, AIO having tanken out a lot of the confusing variables for the new hobbiest.

I also agree with the chalk bass, I have one, was my very first fish. I've also kepy long nose hawkfish, Rainfordi gobies, and a watchman.

You didn't mention it, so maybe you don't know, but the PC lights need to be changed every 8 months to a year. Also you can buy and add LED bars to the stock slots on the hood. They don't do anything for growth, but do make corals look better.

Also API are not ideal test kits, they will do fine, but research some other brands (Redsea or Salifert) when it comes time to refill.

Here is a pic of my tank before it was looted to stock my 90g.

You can see the chalk bass below the frag rack in the 2nd pic. The pics are about 6 weeks apart, and a year old. I traded the red/green trachy for the smaller green one, and had done some rearranging.

As you can see, stock lights will and do grow corals, if you are aware of their needs. Softies, LPS and lower light SPS all did well for me.

Attachments

• julyfts.jpg
    julyfts.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 157
  • 0507141203c.jpg
    0507141203c.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 155
Thank you chefbill for the insight and pics. You are correct about the lights. I do plan on replacing or upgrading to LED in the future but right now I'm not really interested in any type of corals I till I get the hang of fowlr first especially since I'm starting out. I did buy a light for the back for chaeto but that was geared more towards extra help keeping my water parameters in check and just a taste at a refugium to begin with. Also thanks for the info on the water test kit. I never really come across other water testers other then API so I will look into your suggestion as well.

I am sure this may change but I am thinking about what shrimp I want to include in my tank so wouldn't mind some insight because I've come across mix results on various forums when researching. I'm wanting to add a Randall pistol shrimp as I understand they are the least aggressive, a skunk cleaner shrimp and 1/2 peppermint shrimp. And wondering is that pushing it. Again read different results so wouldn't mind someone experienced here chiming in.

I am sure this may change but I am thinking about what shrimp I want to include in my tank so wouldn't mind some insight because I've come across mix results on various forums when researching. I'm wanting to add a Randall pistol shrimp as I understand they are the least aggressive, a skunk cleaner shrimp and 1/2 peppermint shrimp. And wondering is that pushing it. Again read different results so wouldn't mind someone experienced here chiming in.

If you get a goby it will make connection with the pistol shrimp and guard him. Very interesting to watch. Only thing is you might not see him. Same with the peppermint. Mine hid for 2 weeks before coming out and all I have is a clown.

Skunk cleaners are great though!

Caleb

First day of build up is done and so far so good. Nephew was a sponge and explained the cycle process to his parents as soon as he got home. It was great knowing everything I taught him was soaking in. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436231100.767264.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436231115.904100.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436231129.661288.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436231154.475176.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436231181.037485.jpg

Water is cleared up and the cycle has begun. Added one piece of live rock for the kick start. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436478159.157504.jpg

Greatest part he is a sponge. His mother asks so now we can put a Nemo and Dory in their. Her son goes no we can't. Only a clown fish no tang because it will be squished and we have to wait for the cycle to complete to ensure the water is good for the fish. Now that right their is how you bring a kid into the hobby.

sorry it took so long to reply, I missed the thread being alive after I posted. I had 2 peppermints, they ate all my aptasia when I first set up my tank. I currently have a coral banded shrinp in there, it's well behaved and very cool looking, but there do try to catch fish when they get big, or so I've heard.

I had a pistol in there at one time, saw it for 2 weeks, heard it for another, then nothing in a year. I thinkit's a crap shoot if they build a burrow where they are visable.

Now that my 29g is empty, I'm going to kill the hair algae that has seriously taken over the tank, looks like a forest nymph's bed, soft fluffy and green. Once that is gone, I's love to make it a showcase for a nice mantis, but the girlfriend wants seahorses, so...

I like the look of blood shrimp/fire shrimp, but have never owned one. Harlequins are also very cool, but they are not a beginner critter, as they ONLY eat star fish feet (and some urchin's feet).

Well the lessons continue as I teach my nephew how to complete the water test. He was pretty excited to learn something new. Very great bonding experience. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437263135.523403.jpg

Another week of the cycle and we finally got some nitrites and trates showing up. We also picked out another piece of live rock at the local pet store but got something on it I hope someone can help me identify. It's a bright flower looking thing. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437615513.562277.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437615534.436131.jpg

Great to see diatoms in the tank. If I've read right that means I am getting close to the end. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437780917.321674.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437780931.377632.jpg

Back
Top Bottom