Fancy goldfish fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kclskates

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What causes fins to separate like this? Water quality is very good. I cleaned the filter out and it was pretty nasty at the bottom - aqua top canister- so I was thinking the nitrates got a little high. I don't test regularly anymore cause my test always are good. I use liquid test kits. But altogether I know you guys can give me some info.

Attachments

• image-2275565700.jpg
    image-2275565700.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 74
  • image-3527300326.jpg
    image-3527300326.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 71
This happened to one of my sharks and my raphael catfish once, never knew what it was, although in a few weeks it healed up fine.

It should heal up soon just keep the water very very good. Usually that's the best thing for most fish issues.

Can you please post your parameters, tank size, stocking and water change schedule? We really need more info in order to be able to help!

46g bow front. Four fancy telescope eye 4-5" and two that are 1". Every 2-3 weeks I clean the filter with clean tank water. Water changes every 2 weeks. I have a aquatop 500 and another filter that hangs off the back. I have a bubble bar and spray bar so there is plenty of surface ripples. The water has been crystal clear since I got the canister filter and added puregen

This is what it looks like

Attachments

• image-33468300.jpg
    image-33468300.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 65
46g bow front. Four fancy telescope eye 4-5" and two that are 1". Every 2-3 weeks I clean the filter with clean tank water. Water changes every 2 weeks. I have a aquatop 500 and another filter that hangs off the back. I have a bubble bar and spray bar so there is plenty of surface ripples. The water has been crystal clear since I got the canister filter and added puregen

Clear water does NOT equal healthy water. With six growing goldfish in such a small tank and only two wcs a month, I suspect the parameters are not healthy. The nitrate levels are likely quite high, the ph may be starting to drop and at some point soon, the biological capacity of this tank will crash because it simply will not be able to keep up with the bioload of these fish.

My suggestion to start is to increase your wcs- ALOT. 50-75% atleast 3x a week/every other day until you can either invest in a much larger tank or invest in another large tank and split the fish between the two tanks. The wcs along with a nutritious diet will help heal the fin damage but it will need to be constant thing to prevent further problems. Please ask if you have questions!

I know clear water is not mean healthy water. I was just stating the facts of after I got a filter that is more than enough for my tank and bio load. The tank has been stabile for over six months now and perimeters are not all high.

If you have ready post at all you would see I have a question and you still can't awnser cause you don't agree with the how the tank is set up. All I want to know is why fins separate. They have already healed up so its not a big deal.

I can only imagine the post that you have to reply to so I understand your wanna be bio chemist mentality.

Ph has been at 7.2-7.6 for a very long time. It wasn't till I got the big canister filter that my ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all zero. Sometimes the nitrates can get up to 20ppl.

I don't have a lot algae growth. I also have two 18" life glow bulbs on for around 6 hrs a day.

And I am getting a bigger tank one day. But as of right now the fish are thriving. Growing very fast. Almost too fast. My plan is 100g tank

I did explain why you are having issues with the health of your fish. Its due to an overstocked tank, lack of wcs and unhealthy water. Having extra filtration does not solve the issue of overstocking nor does it remove toxins and replenish the water with necessary minerals for healthy fish.

Ph has been at 7.2-7.6 for a very long time. It wasn't till I got the big canister filter that my ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all zero. Sometimes the nitrates can get up to 20ppl.

I don't have a lot algae growth. I also have two 18" life glow bulbs on for around 6 hrs a day.

And I am getting a bigger tank one day. But as of right now the fish are thriving. Growing very fast. Almost too fast. My plan is 100g tank

Its great that your fish are growing and thriving! They should easily outgrow this tank in about 6mths or less. The solution is very simple- just increase your water changes to a couple times a week. You should see a big increase in growth as well because hormones will be kept to a minimal level.

I guess I just want more info then just what to do to fix problems. I know that it's the easiest answer to give people since its usually the problem in aquariums.

Do you know of any really good books about fancy goldfish that go into depth about the anatomy and overall science of the fish.

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

Please ask any questions! If I don't know the answer, I will point you in the direction of who may!

In respect to goldfish books, Dr Erik Johnson's book 'Fancy Goldfish' is the most recent publication out there and is considered the goldfish bible by many!

You stated that the ph may begin to drop. I was wondering why you would say that? What would cause ph to drop in my situation?

Back
Top Bottom