Fancy Goldfish has a red rash on his belly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nightstar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:banghead:

Ok I been beating myself over this fish tank since it was given to me.:facepalm:

:fish2:First let me begin with this. My Goldfish was fine before I added a Pleocostomus and Red-tailed black shark I believe four days ago. Yesterday I saw a red rash on my gold fish belly that has some dark red mixed in it due to his scales being dark I believe. He is a brown/black gold fish. He is eating just fine and is Trolling the shark ever since he got put in the tank with him. The gold fish is bigger by two inches. Now they have not been fighting but the goldfish ate some of the other fishes food though when I first started feeding them. I now hide the other fishes' food so the gold fish can't get to it.

Now I have waited one day to see how the Gold fish does so far he is doing great and he is being active but still Trolling:cool: the shark, but he has been laying on the bottom of the tank a lot today (but normally he does this but not as much as he use to since my other Gold Fish died MONTHS AGO) So yes normally he is at the bottom just chillen under the filter but he has been doing a lot today. Speak of I will check on him now.....

Ok he is laying in the corner bottom of the tank under the filter. He is not very active right now.:ermm:

:confused:Any ideas what is happening to my little guy. I don't want to loose him because of added some **** fish to the tank.

Oh yeah I did clean the tank about a week ago to ten days. Taking most of the water out leaving about 30% of the old water in there. then a few days after cleaning we got new fishes and added their water into the Gold Fish's water in the 5.5gal tank:oops:

:fish1:Any questions you have for me please ask me so I can give you more detail of the problem. I will try to take a photo but he doesn't like showing his belly to me right now since I had to handle him to see what it was in the first place.

Please I need as many people answering this for me. I need help before I hate myself for ever getting fish. :(

You really shouldnt combine fancy goldfish with other fish at all, mine even chases the tiny cory cat. My guess would be he went after the "shark" too much and learned his lesson. I had my fancy goldfish with koi and commons before, until one got into a fight with the koi or one of the bigger commons, he had his entire rear tail shreaded to bits one morning, after being in there with them for months. It just seems that goldfish establish a hiearichy and will chase other fish, especially the males.
What is likely happening to your buddy is fungus infection of the wound. I would take him out and put him in a bucket with a product called "Methylene Blue" for a few days at least maybe a week. You can get a $5 big round fish bowl at walmart, be advised, methylene blue will stain your carpet and clothes. Other than that you add 5ml per ten galloons or about idk 1ml to the bowl and he will be fine. This is how i treated my goldfish, he was bad off when i found him, but with the Methylene he survived and his tail grew back later. Still got him. In fact just mated him. Good luck.

Welcome to AA!!

Can you please clarify your tank situation? There is some type of goldfish, a black 'shark' and a pleco in a single 5g tank? Or are these different tanks? What are your parameters? Some more information will help!

Well the red belly disappeared. I guess the food was changing his color we found out. But now he has White freckle spots all over his tail and the tips are white with some red in it. He hasn't moved from the corner of the tank for two days now. hardly is eating.

*Tank 5gal. 1 filter. castle to hide the red tail shark and pleco. some fake plants these are inch fish. the goldfish is 2 inches.

Unfortunately, the main issue here is one of stocking and unhealthy water. None of these fish are compatible nor are they suitable to a 5g tank. The moor alone needs atleast a 30g for himself. The symptoms he is showing is not related to food but to water quality issues. The best suggestion I can offer is to return the pleco and the shark and invest in a much larger tank for the moor. Even on a very short term basis, you would need to change all of the water multiple times on a daily basis to try and to keep toxin levels somewhat under control. A 5g tank is very limited in its stocking options and realistically is only suitable for a single betta or some shrimp or perhaps a small school of nano fish. We will be happy to help you with whatever course you decide to follow.

Back
Top Bottom