fancy goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davy 1983

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all was wondering if anyone has a glass bottom fancy goldfish tank? Was thinking of taking my gravel out to make cleaning easier, but worried my fish would get bored without the gravel to search for food, any ideas for any other type of bottom?, iv an oranda an ruykin and a black moor the tanks 260 litre iv two air stones, with a few smooth rocks.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130609_191203.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130609_191203.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 77
Many goldfish keepers have bare bottom tanks for easier cleaning. It doesn't effect the fish. Pool filter sand is another option. The majority of the waste sits on top making it easier to clean. It's also safer than small rocks. Gravel can cause goldfish to choke or cause an intestinal blockage.

Hi all was wondering if anyone has a glass bottom fancy goldfish tank? Was thinking of taking my gravel out to make cleaning easier, but worried my fish would get bored without the gravel to search for food, any ideas for any other type of bottom?, iv an oranda an ruykin and a black moor the tanks 260 litre iv two air stones, with a few smooth rocks.

If you only have two airstones in a 68 gallon tank, and no filter, the glass bottom will be the least of your worries. Although, if you remove all the gravel at once, you are likely to experience a bump in your cycle.

Goldfish tanks should be filtered at 10 X tank volume, so for your tank, you need a filter (or filters) that turn over the water 680 times per hour.

I switched to bare from fine gravel a couple weeks ago. My two boys always had gravel in their mouths so that was a major factor in the choice. Bare is so much easier to clean. I didn't experience a bump in my cycle but one of them did get a case of fin rot. So if you do switch keep a very close eye on the tank for a while after.

Back
Top Bottom