Fancy Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike45

Aquarium Advice Newbie

Just how long will a male Fancy tail get. The one we have his tail is longer than his body and if he stops swimming for what ever reason he sinks tail first. Right now he is about 2 1/2 inches long. 1 1/2 is tail and he is a Redtail variety.

It all depends on the breeding of the fish. Some have short while others have long. It sounds like yours is a very long. It sounds like it is about as long as it will get at this point though.

Fancy Guppy

Hi,

If you have a strain of what are commonly referred to as "American Reds" you will wind up with males that when they are fully mature, swim in a "standing" position. Their tails get so large that their bodies cannot support the weight of the tail. They are useless as breeders unless bred at an early age as it is impossible for them to catch the female and "assume the position" required for mating once their tail is that long. - Guppyman

Re: Fancy Guppy

Guppyman said:
it is impossible for them to catch the female and "assume the position" required for mating once their tail is that long. - Guppyman

I'm so juvenile. I think this is hysterical :lol:

We liked that line to but now need to buy a newer younger "stud" :roll:
Thanks for the info "Doc". We suspected that was the case but held out hope the "old man "would at least remember the position and prevail, as we old men always hope to do. :lol:

How about this:

Fish with very long tail:

<0><<<<<<<<<<

Tail sags:

<0><_____ (bear with me now)

Tie balloon to tail:

............O
.............l
<0><<<<<<

Voila! Fishy can engage in fishy sex once again!

Back
Top Bottom