Fancy Guppy Moms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BalaGuppieGirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 1.8 gal for the babies, a 5 for the teens and a 60 for adults. I currently have two moms in the 5 gal and two in a 3 way breeder. I also have this nifty new hatchery that hangs on the outside of the tank that I am just in love with haha because I think its so cool to see my babies suspended outside the tank above me if I sit at my table.

One of the moms in the 5 was picking on the other two (there was a third at the time but she gave birth and went into the 60) so I placed her in the outside breeder. She kept getting into the 60 gal through the overflow which I am fixing with divider net so I put her back in the 5 and removed the one that had given birth. Her gravid now looks light and I am afraid the stress of it all caused her to abort. :( I added stress coat to hopefully calm her and maybe still get some babies from her.

One other mom in the 3 way breeder has seriously slowed her eating habits the last three days. She leaves food sit and rests on the bottom a lot which are signs of labor but no babies yet. I have always read that if they stop eating they will give birth with in 48 hours. I have had moms that stick to this and others that eat before/during/after, So being that she is on day three just nibbling here and there and still no babies is making me a bit concerned but I guess we will see in the next few days.......

Take those females out of the three way breeder. It stresses them out and they may die. It's like having them in those little Betta cups, only they are more active than Bettas. That will make them abort. The female with a pale gravid spot may have aborted but she will always be pregnant again. Honestly, I would just keep them in the sixty until they square off then put them in the five, never a breeder box of any type. Far less stress.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree about the stress so I do wait until they square off or stop eating to put them in and also add stress coat as well. I have had some do great with a breeder and some abort every time they get in so I really dont know if I like them or not. If I use them successfully I get tons of babies if not, I only catch a few in the big tank but I also run the risks that you mentioned as well........
The one with the light spot, again I agree with you. I do believe that I stressed her out. Im kinda upset with myself because I know better than to keep catching her. I should have put her right back in the 5 right away. But, as you said she will get pregnant again.

What do you think about my confusing with the breeders? Do you use them?

Honestly, I hate breeders. I only use them to observe sick fish for no more than five minutes or to raise fry. They are really not even that successful in saving fry- far more get crushed in the little slots.

Oh wow. I have actually never had any get crushed thankfully. That is awful.

I have to agree with the breeder. I've had more females get stressed and die getting moved back and forth.

I've stopped using that- and as long as you have lots of floating plants and hiding places for the fry you won't need the breeders

I don't know what to do I don't want my female to eat her babies while I'm at work so I left her in the breeder how can I tell when she's about to give birth so I know when to put her in it

She will get really square looking. If you google squared off guppy there are good videos and pics. Also just make sure there are a lot of hiding spots. Floating plants are awesome for that too. Hornwort, guppy grass, and anacharis are good for this

Okay thank you so much that actually helps a lot! Just wondering what your opinion is about the three way breader tho, any thoughts on wether it's good to use as well as keep the babies in

Don't put her in the breeder, it more than likely will stress her and she won't perform. Keep her in the main tank, and put floating plants and artificial grass type plants at the bottom and some will make it.

I agree. I don't like or use the breeders either. I just use a toooon of plants ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416594564.155903.jpg

I keep one side of the tank heavily planted- there is a huge sword plant a bunch of water sprite then bunches of hornwort and anacharis. The big fish swim through out but the babies can definitely hide in all the stuff. Is it the prettiest? No. But it works and everyone seems happy.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416594866.291591.jpg

This is one of my cobra girls. She is getting there. Not quite ready but it sort of shows the squared off thing. I have another tuxedo gal who is closer but I couldn't get a good picture. Every time I sit/stand in front on the tank my 16m son comes over and starts screaming fish and they hide. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416594953.037701.jpg that's the best I can get of the tuxedo

Yeah that's a good point I only have fake plants in mine I realize now that even the tree I bought they won't be able to hide in it, is it much harder to look after live plants?

If you get really simple ones no! Floating plants- hornwort and anacharis you can pretty much pop them in and they are good to go :) the other ones take a bit more.

Swords are pretty hearty- the only addition they really need are root tabs. You can buy them from people here/in chain stores easily and just pop one into the substrate right under it.

Even more fake plants will help. They have some that look like the floating plants. Even those live moss balls will help too :)

Okay perfect thank you so much! I have some fake plants that I think could work if I tighten them up closer to when there ready to give birth let me know what you think about themImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416667602.925963.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416667644.897745.jpg

The more you add the better. Another good thing is to make sure you have bottom/short grass like ones and then a couple tall ones. They will use the tall ones to get up to the top for food

Ooh okay perfect idea thank you so much! Will definitely keep that in mind

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416779597.279675.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416779636.461183.jpg so one of my fish ended up having babies and I have no idea which one because none of them looked ready or "box like" enough to give birth, and yet they all still look pregnant.. Does not make sense to me anyone have answers???? I managed to save four

Once they go boxy it is usually really quick- so it could have been overnight or while you were out/at work/whatever. All of our girls are pretty much pregnant all the time and we can never really tell which one has babies.

Also so sometimes they will only pop out a few here and there. So there is a possibility the mom is holding some still

Back
Top Bottom