Fantail gold fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

solo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I'm not new but down sized my tank cause my 35 gallon started leaking bad so I had a ten gallon I used for qt. My ph is 6.0 it used to be 7.0 I have a canister filter magnum 350 from marineland. It's 350 gph 100 gallon capacity no heater tank temp is 75 why ph is low did a water change, cleaned canister filter thinking it myth be to much detitruse in tank maybe tap water needs to be conditioned. Bin buisy with work so I checked ph temp have one big stone small castle with small plant going threw it fake one air airstone. Five fantail gold fish, anyone can tell me what can be wrong when 35 was tuning mo issues.

I am not sure if I understand you correctly. You have five goldfish in a 10g? What are your numbers for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate? I suspect the ammonia may be impossibly high because your beneficial bacteria are no longer functional once the ph drops to 6 or lower. The primary issue is the 35g was already overstocked with with five goldfish. Five goldfish in a 10g will be a nearly impossible situation to maintain no matter what your filtration is unless you are doing multiple 100% water changes daily.

If you cant afford another tank right now, atleast go get a 40-50g storage tub/bin from any big chain store (ie, walmart) and move the filter & the fish to this. They are very inexpensive. I would start checking craigslist/classifieds for a deal on a used tank. These guys need a minimum of a 60g tank but a 75g would be a bit more forgiving. Until you can get them moved to something larger (this really needs to be done asap), you will need to start doing large, frequent water changes a couple of times a day. Please ask if you have any questions!

I have fantail gold fish small ones not regular goldfish. My ph is 6.0 before it was 7.0 changed out tank 35 gallon tank leaked bad had a ten gallon laying around moved fish there there only five off them. I used same water from 35 gallon tank same canister filter what ph drop temperature is 75 I'm not using heater, have one tall stone small castle with small fake plant sticking out off it. An air-stone gravel used from my 35 gallon tank, only thing is ammonia nitrite nitrates didn't test yet ran out of test liquid off hand what can cause ph to drop, tap water not conditioned did a water change siphoned out gravel fish are fine eating well only feed twice a day not over feeding any help pls.

There is not even one single type of goldfish that can survive long term in a ten gallon tank. Not one, and certainly not five. Five goldfish in a ten is a recipe for dead fish, and fast.
35 is too small for five goldfish. Don't let their current size fool you. They'll get big, and they'll need a bigger tank. Like, yesterday. I wouldn't try keeping five in anything less than a 60 gallon tank, and that's only if I had time for a 50% water change every week, along with a massive filter.
Keep juvenile fish in the same size tank as is recommended for adult fish. Don't try to upgrade as they grow because the damage will already be done by then. Your ph problem was caused by water quality issues associated with too much goldfish in not near enough water.
Hope you can get this fixed soon! The longer they're in that ten gallon, the shorter their lives are likely to be. jlk's advice was really good, and the quicker you can act, the better off your fish will be.

Back
Top Bottom