Fantail goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tankster25

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a small fantail goldfish with 7 platys 6 tetras, and a bamboo shrimp. Do you think the fantail is compatable with the others?
Ps: I also have a surplus of snails

I have a small fantail goldfish with 7 platys 6 tetras, and a bamboo shrimp. Do you think the fantail is compatable with the others?
Ps: I also have a surplus of snails

Hi there!

A fantail goldfish is an awesome pet! They have a three month memory, reportedly. I love my fancy goldfish. :)

There are a few things to consider in your setup. A fantail may not have the same ideal temperature as your other fish. It is 64-75 degrees for your gf.
Also, your Goldie needs about 20 gallons for itself, and a filter that moves 200 gallons per hour, plus 50% water changes weekly. (200 is for a 20 gallon).

Wow I had no idea. Thanks! Do you know what I can do?
Ps. How can I teach the fantail to jump through a hoop and is it a good idea?

Wow I had no idea. Thanks! Do you know what I can do?
Ps. How can I teach the fantail to jump through a hoop and is it a good idea?

You are welcome! :)
I recommend watching for Petco's "dollar per gallon" sale because you can buy any tank 55 gallons or smaller at $1 per gallon there.

Goldfish are smart enough that if you use the same phrasing and reward with food, you will see results for sure. I am afraid of teaching jumping. Ha ha. I don't want mine to fall.

The $ per gallon sounds good too. I am getting a 30 gallon to give them a little more space. I didn't know that much until I got this app, so they are all in a 14 gallon :(

The $ per gallon sounds good too. I am getting a 30 gallon to give them a little more space. I didn't know that much until I got this app, so they are all in a 14 gallon :(

I didn't know as much before this either! I read library books, looked stuff up on google, and this forum is the best resource in my opinion. :)

The goldfish needs to be removed from your tank Shen you get a chance. Like stated above they are cold water fish and the others are tropical. Completely different waters.

I thought goldfish could survive in any water unless it's like 90 degrees or higher. Trial and error right there

Not only are goldfish coldwater fish but they have a high bio-load and produce copious amounts of waste. They release high amounts of ammonia in a tank and a fancy goldfish should have 20g of water for itself. You haven't said how big your tank is. Plus filtration needs to be very high and you should do 50% WC's weekly to keep dissolved organics low. You should either re-home the goldfish or get it a suitable size tank. If you keep a goldfish in too small a tank you will stunt it's growth. A fancy in a suitable sized tank can grow several inches in the first year. Mine grew about 5 inches in the first year. Goldfish also need to be fed sinking pellets like Pro-Gold or Haraki because if they have to feed from the surface they ingest too much air and it can cause swim bladder issues, which fancy heavy bodied goldfish are prone to anyway. They also need to be feed fresh/cooked veggies and some fruit weekly, especially cooked, deshelled peas so they don't get constipated which again can cause swim bladder like symptons. Goldfish need their own tanks and special care which they should be given if you plan on keeping them.

Back
Top Bottom