Fantail nudging others - fighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have three baby fantails in a 50L tank (which is only temporary accommodation until I can get a bigger tank).

Two of the fantails approach "Spotty" when he is exploring the gravel. Spotty nudges them away with his head and last night made one fishy lose his balance for a moment with quite a shove. The other two sometimes follow Spotty or just go away and leave him alone. Spotty would be the largest out of the three and is quite erratic.

My water quality is good (the tank is now cycled), and I have loads of plants, a filter and bubbles.

Are the fishies fighting? If so, is there anything that can be done?

Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done at the moment. Its just simply aggression from lack of space as they are all small juveniles and not breeding age adults.

Spotty shoved him so hard that he had to "right" himself.

I have noticed Spotty is only like that just after feeding time.

I have noticed that since cleaning the tank, Spotty is a lot more relaxed with the other two fish.

Perhaps I should change 20% water not just once but twice a week and see if that helps keep everyone happy...

Perhaps you aren't feeding them enough and they are fighting over food. Maybe Spotty is a pig and tries to eat it all and that is why he is bigger. What are you feeding them?

Hi there, I feed the little guys twice a day and let them eat each time for 5 minutes.

I either give them flakes pre-soaked in aquarium water or a frozen fish dinner. I also give them a treat once in awhile - their favourite is a pea finely cut into tiny pieces. Despite what the books suggest, they won't touch orange or cucumber.

They do all seem exceptionally hungry all of the time.

Spotty was the biggest when I got the three about 5 weeks ago, and remains the largest.

What can you recommend?

I have noticed that since cleaning the tank, Spotty is a lot more relaxed with the other two fish.

Perhaps I should change 20% water not just once but twice a week and see if that helps keep everyone happy...

I mentioned in your other thread that you really should be changing atleast 50% of their water daily until you can upgrade to a much larger tank. I know I posted this for you in your other thread but please take some time to read the article linked below- it covers dietary, care and other concerns in respect to fancies. Flakes should be tossed and they need daily veggies in addition to a quality sinking pellet. Veggies are not a 'treat' and should compromise a large portion of their daily diet.

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

Honestly, unless the fish is showing nipped fins or missed scales or some sign of distress I'd say forget it. Little kids fight, fish argue it doesn't sound like a problem.

Take cichlids. Now those babies fight. I had an angel fish that killed the other 3 angel fish and a couple of other fish in the tank. I think you are probably making a mountain out of a mole hill and they are just being fish.

Thanks Baba..., it is hard to know what is normal - I have only had fish for 5 weeks and the books I have bought all have contradictory advice - they are pretty useless. Hence my use of this forum.

Ps I forgot to thank you both for replying to my question. I am so very grateful as I am quite alone - the local fishy shop gives terrible advice, and I don't know anyone who has fish.

:)

Hiya, really kind if you to follow up :)

All the fishies get on great at breakfast, but Spotty still gets territorial at dinner time, nudging and chasing away the other two from his favourite area of gravel :-(

I have tried the following with no effect to his behaviour:
- changed the layout of the tank, except their special area they like to hide or sleep in.
- started giving a third 'meal' of fresh pea daily.
- change 20% of their water every second day until I can get them a bigger tank in 3 weeks.

Am hoping the issue goes away once I get the bigger tank and have it cycled.

Picture of Spotty and his "pals" attached...

:)

Attachments

• image-3372817688.jpg
    image-3372817688.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 45
They are cute, I'd recommend that in the bigger tank you use sand as the substrate. I wouldn't worry about them. If all he does is nudge them away and no one is hurt its inconsequential.

Back
Top Bottom