Farlowella Acus... ??? Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dapellegrini

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I picked this fish up at a LFS a few months back and s/he was not in great shape (chewed up tail, pale, etc), but has come around nicely... I really like this species and am thinking about picking up a companion... Wondering if anyone out there can answer a few questions about on the F. Acus:

1) Do these fish have any preference to being alone or in a group?
2) Any problems keeping the same sex together? i.e. 2 or more males in a tank if I accidentally end up with 2 males?
3) How can you tell the sexes apart? I read that during spawning the male has a wider snout with bristles, but this may not be apparent when not spawning... I have put a bunch of [bad] pics below... Can you tell what sex this one is?

DSC00593-1.JPG

DSC07975-1.JPG

DSC08090-1.JPG

DSC08328-1.JPG

DSC08914-1.JPG

DSC09128-1.JPG

TIA

I love those fish, but I don't have a large enough tank that's planted to keep them. Yours looks great-

From ScotCat (another great catfish site) http://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/farlowella_acus.htm

"To sex out this species is comparatively easy as the male (in breeding condition anyway) has a broader snout (rostrum) from the female and is adorned with short bristles. Sometimes it is hard in young specimens to tell this difference but I have always found a sure fire method by running your fingers along the snout of a captured specimen and you can feel the slight roughness of the male compared to the female."

I read in a few places that the males will be territorial. I don't know if that would be an issue in a large tank.

these fish can actually starve to death in a newer tank, as they dont eat flakes at all, only algae. they require cleaner water conditions as well, be prepared to give yours fresh zucchini (mine arent cuccumber fans).

as far as compainionship, i have two of them, both ignore each other, and i rarely see them together, plecoperson already described how to tell them apart

Mine seems to love algae waffers and is doing very well. I have also heard that they can starve to death if you don't figure out how to feed them, but mine is quite happy...

So here is my dilemma.... While I think I can safely stick my hand in the tank during feeding and run my fingers down this things snout, doing the same at the LFS may not make me too many friends. I am guessing that this is a female based on the snout thing, but will verify... supposing I need a male, I guess I am hoping I will not have to man-handle the ones in the store to figure it out.

I'd just love to be a fly on the wall when you go in and tell the folks at the LFS that you want to touch the fish before you pick one! :D

Well, my Farlowella was very happy to have HER nose stroked. Assuming that this technique is accurate and mine is not too young, it was smooth, not rough... Indicating a female...

Now to navigate the issue with the LFS

I'll definitely be getting a pair or trio of these for my 40g. Pleanty of filtration and lots of driftwood for them to hide on.

They are just too cool looking.

Back
Top Bottom