Favorite Apistogramma?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid Kid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an oppertunity to set up yet "another" dwarf cichlid aquarium a 15gal long. I'd ideally like to house two pair of Apistos. Any ideas or favorites that would fit this scenerio?

Check out apistogramma sp steel blue, they're also known as apistogramma borelli opal

Check out apistogramma sp steel blue, they're also known as apistogramma borelli opal

Steel blue and borelli "Opal" are 2 totally different fish, I understand that stupid importers and stores that don't care to know their fish sell them as such, but please don't spread this misinformation around.

Cichlid Kid, with a 15 gallon a pair of any available Apisto that suits your fancy will do just fine.

IMO you are limited to one pair in a 15 gallon long.

I've got a pair of wild Borelli from Uruguay. They have red on them that the regular LFS variety does not have... they are gorgeous and one of my favorites. :)

aquaticclarity.com has an amazing assortment of nice(even some rare) Apistos. The agassizi "Netz" are a spectacular agassizi cf and my new favorite of the species.

Gillie: I know that they're two different fish. I meant to say that most people that sell borellis are actually selling opal instead.

As I understand it, opal is a variant of Borelli.

According to a limited amount of reading I have done on Apistogramma.com, the steel blues are quite possibly a hybrid.

As I understand it, opal is a variant of Borelli.

According to a limited amount of reading I have done on Apistogramma.com, the steel blues are quite possibly a hybrid.

Yes sp. Opal is a cf of borelli, and unfortunately due to the need for proper descriptions of previous discoveries sp. Steel blue has yet to be subject to genetic testing to determine whether it is indeed a hybrid or a new species from the resticulosa complex. Also contrary to belief there are females in every batch of Steel Blue that come in, there is just no dimorphism until the female is in brood dress. I was fortunate enough to breed them about 10 years ago when they were being imported left and right.

Back
Top Bottom