Favorite Foods= Tetra ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coleallensmom

Planted Tank Enthusiast
My tetra community tank has Pristella, Black skirt, and Black neon tetra in it. I've been feeding them freeze-dried bloodworms and tropical fish flakes. They like both but go crazy over the bloodworms, which has me wondering what else to try. :) Suggestions?

You could try Frozen Brine Shrimp, mine love it.

My LFS has a cold section with foods, however I've never actually checked it out before. I guess I should next time I go in store.

It's fun watching everyone get all excited when I stand in front of the tank at feeding time! ;)

My LFS has a cold section with foods, however I've never actually checked it out before. I guess I should next time I go in store.

It's fun watching everyone get all excited when I stand in front of the tank at feeding time! ;)

Yep, they will be found in a freezer or something at most pet stores.
Freeze Dried Brine Shrimp is always an option, but I've found that they can be a little tough for the fish to digest.
Frozen seems to work better, IME.

Just remember- this kind of food is a big meal for them compared to flakes, so the day you feed Brine Shrimp or Bloodworms should be the only food for that day, not in addition to flakes.

Hope this helps :)

Frozen or Freeze Dried foods are great.
Freeze dried are IMO, best when re-hydrated before feeding.
I like to add a drop or two of Boyd's Vita-Chem to the food when re-hydrating.

Bloodworms
Brine Shrimp
Daphnia
Mysis Shrimp
Tubifex
Krill

Even better are live food cultures.
And these can be easier than you think.

Daphnia
Rotifiers
Micro Worms
Vinegar Eels

Wow, that is quite the list..Thank you! I'll have to look around more extensively next time I go shopping. I know for sure I've seen the Freeze Dried Brine Shrimp, but I wasn't sure exactly how large they were and if my little guys would be to handle them!

If your worried about size, Frozen Brine shrimp comes in a brown block that you just chip off with a knife or something. So, you could control how big a piece you give your fish. I just fed mine that, and they love it. If a piece is too large, frozen brine shrimp clumps are easy for them to rip apart.

The freeze dried bloodworms I seldomly feed my fish seem to big for them for eat.

Hope that helps :)

Back
Top Bottom