Favorite thing about cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettaowner

Aquarium Advice Addict
There's no doubt that cichlids are not your average fish but what do you like about them? What makes them great? For me it's the diversity and unique adaptations.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

First off is beauty, a well crafted Cichlid tank can rival any salt water tank IMO. Second has got to be personality. It's well known that cichlids are some of the most intelligent adaptive species of fish, and watching them go about their day is so entertaining. I can see their decision making process, I can tell when they are pissed, when they're happy, when there sulky.
Kurt Cobain was wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Watching the female Apistogramma turn bright yellow for breeding. It's amazing the color change in some of them.

Watching the female Apistogramma turn bright yellow for breeding. It's amazing the color change in some of them.

Great call.. it's is something worth watching huh? !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1405300457537.jpg
    1405300457537.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 89
Yup. Some turn more yellow than others but they are all cool to see and you know whats about to happen. My Atahualpa female turns super yellow, really cool to see.

Yup. Some turn more yellow than others but they are all cool to see and you know whats about to happen. My Atahualpa female turns super yellow, really cool to see.

That was a 2 month old.showing off.for her dad, creepy or awesome?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

First off is beauty, a well crafted Cichlid tank can rival any salt water tank IMO. Second has got to be personality. It's well known that cichlids are some of the most intelligent adaptive species of fish, and watching them go about their day is so entertaining. I can see their decision making process, I can tell when they are pissed, when they're happy, when there sulky.
Kurt Cobain was wrong.

"It's ok to eat fish, cause they don't have any feeling?" Is that what you're referring to about Cobain?

Kurt Cobain was wrong.

??? ?

I like sa cichlids some of them are like puppies following you around begging for food, some even like getting pet :ROFLMAO:

I like the aggressiveness also but the parental behavior intrigues me the most.

Combination of colour, shape and personality / aggression.

My favourites of my collection at the moment are my standard JD which has awesome colour (dark blue with lighter blue speckles) who is about 2.5 inches and my Salvini which (in my opinion) is what you would class as a 'show specimen', it's a real beauty. I think its a she and is just under 3". My 10" red oscar is a real head turner as well, and has bags of personality. Unfortunately, mixed in with various smaller but more aggressive cichlids, such as the other two mentioned above he has a few minor nicks and tears in his fins :-(

I love that there is many different biotopes you can choose from. Also, how some interact with us.

Back
Top Bottom