Fe Testing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcjubei

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all.
Quick Question.
No matter how many times I am adding liquid Fe to my tank I am not seeing an increase in p.p.m.? I am still at 0 p.p.m? I am adding 3 ml of Flora Vit and Flora Fe by Plant Success to my 37 gallon glass aquarium daily? I have 36 pounds of Flora base substate at the bottom? I just started to grow live plants and I have a feeling its going to be bumpy ride. Any suggestions? :( .

Most Iron tests for our purposes are inaccurate. If you really feel the need to test for Fe, I would make up a stock solution in RO or distilled water and calibrate your test kit. If your kit proves to be accurate, then your plants must be using up all the Fe you're adding.

Also, some kits do not measure chelated iron. I'm not familiar with Flora Vit or Flora Fe, but this may be affecting your test results.

For most purposes, visual inspection is adequate. If new plant growth is yellow or pale, you might want to dose more Fe. If not, why fix what aint broke.

Thanks for the advice I will try a stock solution and try and calibrate my test kit.
The small plants that I have are very green so I may have enough iron in my water.
The reason why I was asking about all of this was I just changed my canopy to:

Deluxe Series-Double Linear strip that would fit the dimensions of my tank.
Spec:
30 inch double lamp fixture, w/ 2-55/65w 6700k lights (3.5 wpg) for my tank.
Built-in electronic blasts and cooling fans
Aluminum housing w/Highly polished lense cover

And as soon as I changed the lighting some plants became thin and deteriorated. I checked the water and it seemed all fine, except my iron test was at zero. I also changed the filter because the bio-wheel was intergraded on my old canopy (eclipse 3 set-up) so I had to buy an emperor 400 bio-wheel filtration system.

A couple of days later since changed lighting and filtration, I have yet to noticed plants "pearling" and water has become cloudy. Checked and noticed nitrites jumped up so I did partial water change, I tried float my old bio-wheel but it sank to the bottom of my aquarium?

I have a small turbo co2 bio system that is said to be enough co2 for up to 35 gallons, I am wondering if I may need to buy two and have both running simultaneously?
I also have a 20lb co2 canister tank that I use to use to feel up my 20 oz tanks when I use to play paintball, but I would not know how to set it up for use in my tank? If anyone can refer me to a link so I can buy with other parts I need I would really appreciate it. None of my friends have aquariums so I really have no one to talk with except this message board.

One thing to consider is the possibility of increased surface agitation with the Emperor 400. Higher surface agitation = lower co2 levels, for the most part. If you have a pH and KH test, you can check your co2 levels. Here's a link if you don't know how to calculate co2. http://www.littlefishtank.com/utils/calculator.asp?tool=co2

20-30ppm should be your target.

With higher light comes more nutrient consumption so you will have to adjust doses accordingly.

I found out too late about surface tension and the emperor 400 :(
but that would mean I can just push more co2 right?
Thanks for the link I will check it out.

travis simonson said:
Those prices are a little high. You might want to check out the prices for the same equipment at www.aquatic-store.com, one of the sponsors here at AquariumAdvice. I bought my CO2 system from them and am very happy with it.

Hey travis I tried that link with no success, can you post another link :p

it's the comma at the end, the BB software is putting it as part of the link.
use www.aquatic-store.com

also try www.aquariumplants.com I know they carry the exact same regulator and controller at a better price (but compare shipping costs/grand total too). They have the Milwaukee regulator for $59.99

To elaborate on Nystina's comments - few of us rely on an Fe test kit to determine Fe dosing. Chelated Fe oxidizes very quickly, and since iron is just a trace nutrient, you can pretty safely just dose a little iron every other day, and assume you have enough. If the plants look bad, then you don't have enough.

I know its counter intuitive...you hear me preach about testing pH, Kh, NO3, PO4...but iron and potassium are two that you can just kind of look at the plants, and say "well, I guess I have enough".

Back
Top Bottom