featherduster explosion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pph_2ppr

Aquarium Advice Activist
lately I have realized that there are alot of white calcium dots on the glass of my aquarium. I did recently purchase live rock that had some calcium tube feather dusters. The dots have been growing and each start out as a spiral, at the end f this spiral there is what appears to be the head of a very small feather duster. Is it possible that this could be what is happening or is it something else? they are all less them .5mm across over 75 of them

forget 75 there is hundreds of them everywhere

is there a way to control them from covering the front glass, or is scraping them off the best way to go?

That sounds like an excess of nutrients in the the tank. Try doing more frequent PWCs and they will diminish. You can scrape them off with a razor or something similar.

iv'e only been changing the water once a week and 10 %. should i do this twice a week but, or once with 25%? What do featherdusters eat exactly?

What sized tank? If it is a larger tank, I would go for 25% maybe every two weeks.

Ohm yeah, forgot to answer your other question. They are filter feeders. They eat whatever floats by them.

i want to keep them alive but if theres too many wont they starve? plus i think i see astapia, what do i do to control that?

They usually have a "bloom" in newer tanks, because there are usually more excess nutrients in newer tanks. They will die off to manageable level and then what is left will live with what is in your water, if that makes sense.

To get rid of the aiptasia, check out a product called Joes Juice. It works very well. Also, if your tank does not have many other inverts or fish that will eat inverts, peppermint shrimp are usually good at keeping aiptasia away by eating them.

HTH

sounds good, i can get that off almost any website right? it must be injected with a syringe correct?

i have a quick question as to would it benefit my 10 gallon to put a 4"dsb in a refuge or would that still mess with the water chemistry?

Joe's Juice is easy to find. Make sure you turn off all your water movement equip before you use it. Make sure you get it in it's "mouth". You don't really have to "inject" it into the aiptasia.

You are asking about a refuge on a nano tank, what other issues are you having? High nitrAtes?

Save yourself some $$ and just purchase Calcium Hydroxide in a small tub; afterall, Joe's Juice is nothing more than Calcium Hydroxide in non-iodized salt. Why pay more if you don't have to.

That's the stuff I couldn't remember! I have a lot of info sitting at work...and of course, I'm not at work now!

Oh yeah, I did find Joe's Juice is kind of a pain to use. It clogs and the syringe won't spurt it out. Unless I got a bad batch....

nitrates are around 20 and im hoping to get them down to 0, plus i think it would look cool.

if you just have to make shure its in its mouth then y doesnt it kill all the pest anemones?

Where do you get calcium hydroxide? do you use it the same way as joes juice?

it is not aiptisia, it is probably spiral worms, or spirulina. They are common on tanks, (and in nature) . When the nutrients drop off so will they. They can be ugly in the meantime, just wait it out, or clean them. Dont go juicing anything just yet.

Back
Top Bottom