Feeder Guppies-Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarah E

Aquarium Advice Activist
I suppose you'll want to know the reason for owning feeder guppies. I came into this whole adventure when I saved a baby snake from our cat. I kept him, and found out that he enjoys to eat feeder guppies, and Night Crawlers (after a long time researching). I was told the best way to go about feeder guppies, would be to breed them myself.

I have a 10 gallon tank with a good filtration device, a heater, some aquarium rocks, three live plants, a little dome-type structure (for them to swim through), natural-colored aquarium rocks and an Air-rock. We did the usual, let them get used to the temperature of the water by putting the bag in and letting it warm up for a half hour, then let the water mix before releasing them. This was fine. They were doing great!

That night, I found 3 stuck in our filter. I thought, 'okay, they were smaller babies, maybe it won't happen again.' the next hour another one was dead. I strung a panty-hoe up over the filter, but they were still getting stuck! Finally I put a net around it, keeping room between the filter and fish, while other 'gunk' can get in through the net, the fish can't.

I ended up putting a water softner in the tank, added some aquarium salt (I added the air-rock two days ago) and so far, have only had one or two more fish die.

I'm feeding them "Omega 3 Fish Flakes" as I was told it was one of the more natural foods, and I grind it up (in my hands) to a fine powder/consistency so they can all eat it.

My newest problem is my air-rock. It's working perfectly fine, but I have around an inch and a half build-up of bubbles on top of my aquarium from it. When I turn it off, they disappear... it's as though someone put soap in the tank, or touched the water with soapy hands.... but from what I've seen, this hasn't been done...

Any advice? Thank you!!!

Sarah E

Look up tank cycling on this forum, it will answer your questions about why the fish died. They probably died and then got sucked into the fiter. It's unusual for fish to get stuck and then die ;)

I think you may be starting too many threads. You're getting decent response to your initial one. All these others are just going to confuse the members who are trying to help you. :)

Thank you very much! I'm new to this, and thought the introduction area was for... well introductions! LOL That's why I didn't post the above information there.... :)

Sometimes the conversation in an introductory thread can take on a life of its own and end up branching into dialogue about the various issues in your tank. :)

Back
Top Bottom