Feeding a gorgonia.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mistertalker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What is the best way to feed and keep healthy gorgonias. I find it is difficult to feed them since they are not open very offen, when I am around.

It depends a lot on what type of Gorgonian you have. We have 2 kinds of Gorg's in our tank (you can see them both -->on this page of our site). Both of these gorgonians are primarily photosyntetic, and have seemed to do best (for us) under MH lighting. Both of these Gorgonians seem to have their polyps extended about 85%-90% of the time, and do appear to 'catch' a considerable amount of food when we feed the tank.

There are non-photosynthetic gorgonians, but these are typically difficult to keep, as it is extremely hard for an aquarist to provide the amount & type(s) of food they are used to getting in the wild. One exception to this seems to be the Yellow Gorgonian.

I have never personally kept a non-photosynthetic gorgonian, so I can't offer any personal insight on their care.

One thing to remember about gorgs (even photosynthetic) is that they require alot of waterflow. They need this to stimulate them to open the polyps (without a current, nothing s bringing them food, why waste the energy to open their polyps) and they need it to shed a waxy film, which they do periodically to clean themselves of excess slime, algae, etc...

Back
Top Bottom