Feeding a Watchman Goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flynnternet

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a Watchman Goby in QT for two weeks now. I have been feeding him frozen raw shrimp or scallops (alternating), but he rarely seems to eat it. I have only witnessed him eating once. Usually, I drop it in (as near to whichever hiding place he's in as I can), give it a few hours, then I take whatever is left over out of the tank.

First, should I be concerned? Seems long enough that he should be eating by now.

Second, what happens when I put him in the display? I am concerned by shrimp will grab the food before he'll get to it.

TIA

I have a watchman. Mine eats pods but also eats frozen mysid shrimp, flake food and cyclopeez when I'm feeding the rest of the tank. It only eats very, very small pieces though. Maybe it's a size thing why yours isn't eating???? Good luck HTH

The one time I did see him eat was a pretty big chunk of scallop. Come to think of it, I saw him eat shrimp one other time, and that was also kinda big. I've been trying to feed smaller pieces, but the small pieces don't sink, and he never seems to swim for anything.

I'l currently soaking some stuff in garlic juice. Maybe that will help?

well mine loves flake food. if he see it flying around the tank he will come out of his hiding place and get it. but it has to be moveing for him to want it.

Mine eats pods

Mine survived in my fuge for a couple of months before I realized he was there and not dead, as previously believed. Even so he doesn't eat all that much and I've had him about a year. I feed blender mush, and all my fish love it.

he doesn't eat all that much and I've had him about a year

Good to know. I guess as long as there's food being put in the tank, if he wants some he'll eat it.

I started feeding rudimentary mush to my display, but since the Watchman is in QT and he doesn't eat everything in the mush, I've been targeting him with meat. I tried flake for the first few days, but he wasn't interested.

My yellow watchman eats just about anyting. He always comes out at feeding time. He will also take a mouth full of food and spit it into his cave in the LR. I am not sure if he is saving this food for later or feeding his best friend who is a pistol shrimp. Either way, very cool to watch. As with any fish, variety is the key.

Back
Top Bottom