Feeding Betta fish and plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gingimaru

Aquarium Advice Activist
morning all,

Sorry if i seem a bit of a newbie but i need to ask. We have recently got a betta fish, i did do some research but everyone keeps saying different things so here goes. i have frozen bloodworms for the betta as i saw that they pretty much live off these things. seeing as they are frozen in little cubes you get like 50 in a cube so putting a cube in at a time is pretty reckless and would contaminate the tank, but it also seems extremely wasteful to thaw off a cube to get maybe 3 worms out of it to feed the fish then throw the other 40+ away. are there better ways to get the worms from the cubes so its not as wasteful? and should i rinse the worms after thawing? i have heard many people say "yeah put the cube straight in the tank" some say " dont put frozen food in the tank" some say "thaw it off and get what you need and throw the rest away" there are many different opinions. can anyone please shed some accurate light on how to feed frozen blood worms to betta fish whilst not being wasteful and without contaminating the tank.

also as i have a pleco (about 1inch at the moment) i was curious as to the best material to use to help (for example) cucumber pieces sink so as to not contaminate the tank?

many thanks in advance i look forward to learning from you all

use a knife to cut off how much of the cube you want to use. Also I suggest not feeding bloodworms daily and save it for a once in a while treat. Get the fish on a high quality flake or pellet.

You can get metal screw type things called screwcumbers that are used to help cucumbers etc stay on bottom of tank. I've got a picture of one in my tank. Will attach it.

Attachments

• image-1896542686.jpg
    image-1896542686.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 88
  • image-1273566439.jpg
    image-1273566439.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 69
That's a really good idea. I have always just boiled them so they sink.

I agree that the betta needs high quality flake food, with blood worms maybe being fed once or twice a week. Algae wafers work wonders for my hungry plecos.

Thanks everyone i will try get some high quality pellets/flakes when i get paid this week. i find it quite hard just cutting a bit off the frozen block (generally flys everywhere lol) but thats one of the best ways to do it? just cut off (if i can) what i need and use that. brilliant i shall give that a go later.

Scottishnewbie: I have seen the Screwcumber however with it being something i've only seen online i'm a bit dubious about ordering them (dont like ordering much online) do you know any shops in particular that sell it? or a website i could trust that would sell it? and if not do you know any other way to get them to sink?

Reaperpilot2014: doesnt boiling it make it loose its nutritional value?

Boiling does affect it a bit from the nutrients either being neutralized, or released into the surrounding water. I don't leave it in very long though, and only in a tiny amount of water in a small bowl. It's just to soften it a bit. I was trying to be creative to get it to sink, but like the screwcumber idea better.

After researching the screwcumber a bit, I took a heavy duty stainless steel nail and stuck it in a cucumber core. It took 3 nails to sink, but that works just as well for me since there doesn't seem to be anything to suggest negative effective of stainless steel in the aquarium. At least it's on the bottom, even if it does roll around. :)

Cool thanks i shall have to give that a go. i'll only be putting a slice of cucumber in so i'm sure one maybe 2 nails will suffice as my plec should be ok with the one slice :) i'll have to take some pics one day and try get them on here for people to see

oops also just realised i have posted this in the wrong part of the forum apologies :l

I got my screwcumber from a local aquarium shop in ne Scotland so I'm not sure about online suppliers-sorry. Watch the nails aren't sharp guys or your fish night injure themselves.

Back
Top Bottom