Feeding cherry shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dayton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a five gallon and recently added twelve cherry shrimp. I'm just wondering what the best feeding schedule is for them. So far I haven't fed anything because the tank is planted and they seem to have some things to eat already. I have algae wafers but I'm not sure when to feed them and how much to give them. The wafers are kind of big so I'm not sure they'd eat a whole one. Also what's a good water change schedule for shrimp?

I feed my RCS every other day with algae wafers. These are about 1/3" and come in the foil package with the clown loach on the orange cover (in other words, I cannot recall which brand). There are between 25-30 shrimp a 20g.

I try to do a weekly 30-50% WC.

Are there any fish in the tank? If so, the shrimp will get what the fish leave behind.

I would use the smallest amount of wafer you can put in. I think 2-3 times a week, max. I ended up with hydra & planaria in my tank after feeding algae wafer - I don't think the shrimp had any, and it ended up dissolving into the substrate and I was not able to pick it back out.

It's a shrimp only tank. I put 1/4 of a wafer in last night and they were all eating it but it seemed like it was too big so I'll add a smaller piece next time

For 12 shrimp, I would not use algae tabs. I'd get small algae sinking pellets and give them one or two, maybe twice a week.
The shrimp will feed quite a lot on biofilm, and if you have a sponge filter, these become excellent food sources with some time. Shrimp seem to love feeding on sponge.
Main thing is don't feed too much. You can try placing a small ceramic or glass dish in the tank, and put food in that. Helps prevent it sinking into the substrate, and makes removing any leftovers easier.
Shrimp are not just algae eaters, btw. They will benefit from some variety in diet. A tiny piece of boiled spinach, maybe 1/8" diameter for this number of shrimp, or a pellet or two of 'shrimp pellets', which are not so much for shrimp, but they contain shrimp, among other things. Shrimp like to eat dead shrimp or fish, because they are true scavengers, and will eat almost anything they find.

Back
Top Bottom