Feeding Corydoras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherryBarb123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I hope I have put this in the right place :ermm:

In my aquarium, I am struggling to feed my Julii Corydoras. Whenever I put their pellets in, my Bleeding Heart Tetras immediately grab them and plough around the tank with these pellets buldging out of their mouths! While it is quite ammusing, it is incredlbly frustrating, because even if I place the pellet on the sand, it is grabbed by the Bleeding hearts or pecked at by my cherry barbs.

Has anyone got any ideas of how I should go about feeding my Cory cats without the bleeding hearts attempting to eat the first?

At the moment, my Bleeding Hearts are nipping the one cory that is trying to eat an algae wafer :(

Thanks! :)

Drop the pellets in at night, just prior to lights out. I have the same problem with my black skirt tetras thieving them away if I don't.

You probably have, but have you tried feeding your tetras their food first then dropping the cory pellets on the other side of the tank?

In a situation like yours, I would place the food under driftwood or somewhere where the fish can't get to it, but the corys can.

Thanks! I have tried feeding it at the same time, and given how quickly the bleeding hearts eat their food, it is sadly impossible. Loads of food is gone within seconds when they are around. They just swim around the tank having had their foods and now with they cory's pellets in their mouths! They just chase each other around and don't let go!

My Cherry barbs get in small gaps as well though as they are small too. This is my problem! It is quite annoying :( The cherry barbs then pull it out and peck at it, and before long the bleeding hearts have found it. It is very annoying - sorry to be awkward.

The one thing they can't get is the algae wafers, but this can't be an everyday food for the cories can it. I don't know though :)

Sorry to be awkward. If the bleeding hearts weren't like mini pihranas, and the cherry barbs weren't so quick to find the pellets it would be a lot easier :)

Thanks!

Then the best choice for you probably is feeding after lights out. I would drop the pellet/wafer down the back side of the tank so that the fish are less likely to see it.

You an also try what a friend of mine does. He puts an algae wafer inside a slice of cucumber or zucchini. The fish have no interest because they think it's just veggies.

Thanks for the advice guys :) I have to say that the veg idea seems to be a good idea and I will try that. Thank so much guys, all the replies are really helpful :)

Another quick and very dumb question - With the pellets, are the cories meant to eat the pellets whole or just peck at them? If they are meant to eat them whole, do I need to crush them up? How many pellets should they have each?

Sorry for the stupid questions!

Thanks

Corries are scavengers so they eat anything that fall to the bottom. I feed my with algae pellets but also with micro pellets. Micro pellets float for a while and then drop down.
When I drop regular algae pellets my Dwarf Gourami eats it right away. To avoid this, I break a wafer in to 8 pieces and drop it all over the tank. This way corries have a chance to eat some of it. Besides gourami makes a mess eating wafer so corries clean after him.

They'll peck at the pellets, eating off little bits. My sinking pellets slowly dissolve, so they really start munching as it does.

Back
Top Bottom