feeding fish 6 days a week/algae on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gail

Aquarium Advice Activist
How important is it to NOT feed your fish for one day out of the week? I've never done it in all the years I've had my tanks (except if I'm out of town).

AND how do you get the algae off the back of your glass tank, I have a scrubby, but that stuff is hard to get off. I don't have enough for an algae eater.

gail

I only feed my fish 3 times a week. All cichlid tanks. It helps to keep down the waste from poop and food that doesnt get eaten. I have been doing this for about a year now and my fish are healthy and happy. As for the algae, why it is there is more of an issue than cleaning it. Maybe cut back on the amount of time your lights are on and watch the feedings. Algae alot of times is a result of overfeeding.

I only run my lights on the weekends.
-47 gallon bow front, community fish, tetras, silver dollars, plattys, zebras, coreys.
-29 gallon guppy and coreys only.

You only run your aquarium lights on the weekends? Odd.

Is it Brown Algae or Green Algae? Are your tanks in any kind of sunlight? Having an aquarium next to a window or anywhere that it can get direct sunlight from outside is the #1 easiest way to grow algae.

I work during the day, and when I get home (after the gym) it's about 7 or 8:00 and why should I turn my lights on for 10 or 15 minutes.

The algae is green. The 29 gallon is next to the window, but it barely gets any light from the window, the back of the tank has the algae on it not the side of the tank.

I'm not sure then. I would've thought with so little light going into the tank that you would be getting brown algae but I guess that's not the case.

You may want to look into getting your tank water tested for Phosphates, because some fish foods that dont get eaten can contain preservatives and phosphates that will grow algae.

I have green spot algae growing in my Endler's tank, but that's because I feed them fry food 2 times every day and a lot goes uneaten to make sure the fry get constantly nourished.

Back
Top Bottom