Feeding in a fresh water tank with sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hab

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys
I have a bit of a silly question , I have a new freshwater tank 77galleons that has a sump. I have successfully cycled it and have just added my first fish to it. 6 cherry barbs and 3 zebra loaches.
Went to feed them and sprinkled small amt food in as I have done with other tanks and it drifted along and straight down the sump without the fish getting a look in. How do I get the food to stay in the tank long enough for my new fish to notice it and eat it. Do I need to buy sinking food or some other type of pellet instead of flakes?
In my other tank they are queuing up to get at the food.

I have a freshwater sump setup too and I just turn off the pumps and HOBs at feeding time , give them a few minutes to eat it all then turn everything back on . This also makes me check water levels in sump , HOBs are working correctly , etc as I have to look everything over good to my satisfaction . Only takes a few minutes a day .

Reactions: Hab
I simply add my food in the sump. I submerge my fingers with the bit of food and the pump slowly sucks it up. Disperses the food nicely into the tank and the fish go nuts.
Any food that makes it to the overflow ends up feeding the fish in jail (sump).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Reactions: Hab
Back
Top Bottom