Feeding my cardinals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monaro_gto

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I picked up 6 cardinal tetra's on Monday and floated the bag, pwc to the bag for about 90 minutes and then netted them into the tank. First day they were very nervous and stayed hidden a lot. Now they are out and about and seem to be doing well but, feeding doesnt seem to be going to well. I am feeding them flakes and while they do eat a very small amount they mostly inhale the food and spit it back out or swim up to it then turn away.

Is this normal for new fish? Should I try something other then flakes?

Could you tell us what you are using? Sometimes it is normal for fish to act this way. Try turning the light off when feeding. What other fish are there in the tank, how large is the tank and so forth. It all helps in seeing the whole picture!

it is a 29g tank with 3 Mollies and 3 platies that leave them alone. I have only been doing flakes so far. When it says high quality flake food what should I be looking for? Im using the API Tropical flakes at present.

it is a 29g tank with 3 Mollies and 3 platies that leave them alone. I have only been doing flakes so far. When it says high quality flake food what should I be looking for? Im using the API Tropical flakes at present.

The best flake or pellet foods are new life spectrum. If you get .5mm pellets all your fish should be able to eat them.

Also remember if the fish are used to eating a specific type of food it can take a few days for them to adjust to new food.

well finally picked up the new life spectrum food and seems that everyone loves it. The petco I went to didnt have much in the new life range other then a few pellets of different sizes. Is that normal?

for new fish, it's always recommended that you feed what their natural food was. for instance, i feed my rams live blackworms and frozen bloodworms because i know that's how they were fed before i purchase them. if your lfs feeds your cards with flakes, try to match the brand

well finally picked up the new life spectrum food and seems that everyone loves it. The petco I went to didnt have much in the new life range other then a few pellets of different sizes. Is that normal?

Yes, that is it. It is only one type of food in various sizes. It is an excellent food and all my fish like it.

API Tropical Premium Flakes - Too fine??

I have an all tetra tank (rasbora, blue & black neons, Serpa Red, etc) and recently purchased API as an upgrade to my TetraMin. I find the API to be overly fine ... many particles to small ..... forcing me to shut off the filter while feeding. Did I get a bad batch or is this normal ?????

With larger TetraMin particles, the fish do that same "spitting it out first" noted above.

[I also feed frozen brine shrimp weekly].

Back
Top Bottom