feeding my sixline wrasse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scenicad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I just picked up a sixline wrasse from my LFS. I have frozen mysis and frozen brine that I've been feeding my clown.
So, my question is....

Besides the frozen mysis and brine, is there anything else I should be feeding him? What's the best diet for a sixline? What do you feed yours? (if you have one)

Hi, Wrasses are naturally carnivorous. I've had my sixline for about 4 months, and he now eats anything I put in the tank. At first he would only accept foods like you were using but now he'll eat flakes, pellets, nori and anything else. He also spends the majority of his time picking off pods on the live rock and aquarium glass. He was pretty shy at first, now he's very personable and is one of my favorite fish.

Jeff

yeah, so far he's eaten both kinds of shrimp, but has passed by the pellets and flakes. The package of mysis shrimp lists vitamins in the ingredients area, so I guess I won't worry about him getting enough nutrients out of just two types of food.
He was so shy at first that I was afraid he didn't make it past the acclimation into the QT (he wedged himself sideways under the pvc pipe). But the next day he was swimming around and exploring with the clown. It looks like he's going to be a lot of fun! :D

Scenicad, speaking of the wrasse, I was doing my water change last night and had the siphon in the tank and felt something nibblilng on my fingers (I was keeping an eye on the water in the bucket); sure enough my six line was nibbling on my fingers! My angel commonly does that but this was new for the wrasse. It's also interesting the way they can "play dead"; I saw him do this when I had in ich outbreak and had to move the fish into a QT. Hopefully you'll not experience this. :roll:

Ha, that's what he was doing when I first put him in the QT. Turned on his side and when all limp. It really freaked me out.
I can't wait to put him in the display tank. There are a lot of hiding places, nooks & crannies. My only worry is that I have a few hitchiker crabs that I think are undesireables (fuzzy with black tipped claws), but I haven't been able to get them out yet. I hope he doesn't run into problems with them, especially since they hide in all of those dark little places. So far, they haven't gone after my shrimp or clown (but he stays out in the open any way). When anything gets close, they put their claws up, but they seem to be more defensive.

Back
Top Bottom