Feeding open brain....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndySmithers

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,
I just got an open brain (Trachyphyllia geoffroyi) in my 90.
I know this has been discussed before but I'm having a real problem feeding him.
So far my only success has been putting a cut-off 2l coke bottle over it and simply dropping brine shrimp from a baster into the neck of the bottle which kind of showers down over it.
Most other ways I try result in the food drifting off or being eaten by my brittle star, snails or cleaner shrimp. I've watched after dark and seen tiny tentacles around the edge of the brain (around 3mm long) - surely these can't be the feeding tntacles?? How the hell do these things get along in the wild, it seems mighty hit and miss hoping for a tasty morsel to fall onto the mouths before being devoured by other hungry critters??
Or am I just trying to hard with the critter???

TIA.
Andy.

I've had my brain coral for a couple months now with no direct feeding.

I tried to direct feed mashed brine shrimp but it would not hold on to it for long. According to a book on corals I have (Corals A quick Reference Guide by Julian Sprung) they feed off of light, phytoplankton, zooplankton, marine snow, fish feces, fish&shrimp, and snails. Most of which is floating through the water anyway.

HTH,
Rich

I have never direct fed the trachy I have and it's actually grown quit a bit in the 7 months I've had it. I don't think it's really necessary for these corals, they're fairly hardy.

Thank you guys.
The advice I've read elsewhere conflicts (doesn't ALL advice in this hobby? :D )
Some places say direct feeding is necessary, other's say not.

Oh well, we shall see who's right!

Andy.

The direct feeding will definately benefit the coral's health and increase growth but it is not necessary. If there is enough nutrient free floating in the tank, it should get enough of the "extras" it needs as acid_burn noted above.

Look at it as extra TLC but not a required maintenance. :wink:

FWIW, I never directly feed any of my corals. With the vitamin fortified foods I feed the fish and Liquid Life Bioplankton weekly, there's plenty to go around. That is provided the right water chem is maintained and the lighting is up to PAR.

Cheers
Steve

BTW the little tenticles yuo see at night, they are the feeding tenticles. if you put a small piece of food on them, you'll see the brain start to close up bringing the food closer to the mouth.

with my cleaner shrimp being absolute pigs, ive learned to give them a chunk of food before direct feeding my coral. i also give the coral mostly phytoplankton so if the shrimp do scavange any of the coral, they cant take the whole chunk of food. HTH

Back
Top Bottom