Feeding question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack22

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm wondering how much or how often everyone feeds their tank? I've had my tank set up for about a year now. I started out feeding twice a day flake food and a small piece of seaweed sheet for my tang in the morning and a cube of mysis in the evening every day. About 2 months ago a had a bad outbreak of hair algae so I cut back on the feeding just feeding once every other day alternating flake and mysis. I finally got rid of almost all the algae. I want to make sure I'm feeding enough without causing a problem again. Here is my stock list.

Kole tang
Flame angel
2 clowns
Algae Blenny
Chalk basslet
Bubble tip anemone

I feed my fish small amounts twice a day. I use a good flake for a base and supplement with freeze dried bloodworms about twice a week (they go nuts for the bloodworms.

Right now I have just 2 clowns and a skunk cleaner. They get fed every other day, alternating PE Mysis shrimp and Dainichi Marine FX.

Following this thread. I always question myself if I a feed enough also. I only have a pair of ocellaris clowns and a Midas blenny. I compare my female clown to the young clowns being sold at the lfs and mine looks smaller than theirs. It's a year old!

I've had my tank about 5 months (two clowns, a watchman, and a coral banded shrimp) and I when I only had the clowns I fed them 3x's a day and now they only have an appetite for 1x a day which I hear is pretty average next to once every other day. I think you feed them more when they're young.

Thanks for all the advise. Sounds like I was definitely feeding too much before. Are there any signs I should look for that would tell me I need to feed more before my fish start to starve?

If you start seeing their spines, abnormal aggression maybe, HLLE (head and lateral line erosion) This you will see in your tang. It's nick named "hole in the head". Google HLLE for images.
Every other day is plenty of food. Remember, too much feeding can hurt them too, with poor water quality.

Yup, I agree. I was worried about my fish starving also and I learned that they can survive about 2-3 weeks without eating. (I suppose all kind vary) but if you notice them rushing to the food and like above stated, aggression at feeding time..
They could be hungry and maybe up it a little extra.
But I definitely agree with mr X, over feeding is also harmful and can stress your fish out.

Back
Top Bottom