feeding SPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

water_man11

Aquarium Advice Activist
Question about feed my leather and SPS. They are doing well with the light in the tank, but seemed to respond to the mysis shrimp defrost water I squirted on them. So I had heard about oyster egg and bought some at the lfs. I used the a baster and the water is still cloudy this morning, is that normal? It is starting to clear, but taking more time than I thought.

Thaw what your feeding them in a cup and rinse with tank water until the water is mostly clear. That's what I do and no wasted cloudy water.

I had been feeding them the water that I thawed mysis in, you know the cloudy tank water that is left after the shrimp thaw. I spot feed with the turkey baster. Yesterday I bought the refrigerated liquid Oyster Eggs from Reef Nutrition. I put some in some tank water and spot feed.

The tank is still cloudy 24 hours later! I tested the water and the results were 0 for Ammonia, Nitrates, and Nitrites. Everything looks happy. But the water is still cloudy.

Should I just wait another day?

First I believe you are overfeeding. If you have any fish in the tank the corals will get all they need from an abundance of light and what is in the water column.

How much of the oyster eggs did you feed? What is the expiration date?

As for frozen food, thaw it in some tank water and then strain it using rodi water. Feed only what's left.

6 /3/12 is the expire date. Think I did feed too much. Should I do a water change?

I use liquid oyster eggs as well. Don't know how much of this u use but I spot feed only about 5 drops of the stuff a day. I shut down my skimmer for about 2 hrs after feeding. 5 drops is plenty for the entire 30 Gal tank. I don't have fish so this stuff is beneficial to my tank. My corals r growing and looking great.

5 drops twice a week is more than enough. Corals don't need much outside food to thrive. Inshore corals under turbid conditions may take up to 60% of their nutrition from particulate matter, but in pristine tank conditions "Zooxanthellae living within the tissue of hard corals can supply them with up to 98 percent of their nutritional needs"

I think i will only feed ever couple of weeks. They have been doing well up to now. I wanted them to grow faster. If it ain't broke don't fix it.....as they say.

Yeah, he's probably right. I may b over feeding as well. Don't know why they sell such large bottles at outrageous prices. I will probably end up pitching 3/4 of the bottle after the expiration date. If I knew other reefers within my area, I would b giving this stuff away. Such a waste

I buy the 1 oz frozen DT's Oyster eggs on occasion, though I normally just use Rod's Food to feed the tank. I also use Coral frenzy on occasion as well as Cyclop-eze, ZoPlan and PhytoPlan. I tend to rotate through them and discard most of the container after 6 months.
Currently I'm just using the Coral Frenzy as an addition to the Rod's Food on feeding days (Wednesday and Saturday). The coral frenzy goes in after lights out as should any coral food.

I posted on the wrong thread( my bad ). Don't understand the logic of feeding corals only after lights out. The polyps close on my sps and lps after dark

Anyone else feed their corals only after dark? It's something I would really like to know

My SPS tends to open more with the lights out, I do not have any LPS, so I can not respond to them. I do have leather toadstool that is open day or night. The Kenyan Tree is open daytime only.

That's really interesting. My corals shut down after dark. My lps retract and my sps r mere skeletons of what they r when the lights r on

That remark is meant for SPS. LPS like leathers, bubble coral, candy cane, etc. will be open with lights on.

Mine as well. My SPS retract their polyps at night. Fuzzy and full during daylight. Skeletons at night. I've read that sps taken fm the wild tend to feed at night but that they can b trained to open during the day. Mine were already trained prior to purchase, I'm guessing

Wasn't arguing. I'm intrigued. I'm a rookie who is anxious to learn more. Thanks

Do you know what they are and where they came from?
Are you checking about an hour after lights out with a red light?

Many fragged corals will be open daytime after generations in captivity, but I believe even those extend more and feed at night. I'll check on that.

The ones I have have been fragged for some time. The birdsnest and a Monti are ORA strains

Back
Top Bottom