feeding SPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll check with a red light. I have a couple Pocillopora Coral. U really opened my eyes about the feeding habits of sps. I will start feeding nights sometimes. My LFS purchases fm various dealers as well as propagating his own. I will check with him. I know the guy is busy but u would think that he would have informed me about night feeding. Maybe he assumed I knew. I don't know

Your lfs may not know either. It takes thumbing through a lot of sciantific journals and posts araound the net to find the morsels.

Yes, I'm sure ur right. He's pretty knowledgeable and I'm anxious to get his take on it. I can't wait to check my corals with a red light, which isn't going to happen for a few hours. Whether its open at night or not, this info. U provided will help with any future sps purchases I make. Appreciated!

cmor1701d was absolutely right about the sps open at night. I didn't c it until I used red lighting. Wow. U live and learn

The tank cleared up and wc completed. No change in ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates.

I will b talking to my LFS about this. The day I bought my SPS he was kinda busy. He probably assumed I knew what I was doing. Most people know what they're doing when they start buying SPS corals. The more difficult corals to keep. I'm reasonably sure he just overlooked this. He was giving me so much other advice, it just didn't get brought up. So apparently my polyps remain open 24 - 7. But they extend further at night so as to achieve more filtering of the water. This last part I read I read online. This has been an excellent thread. Thanks

Oh yeah, here is my sps. Typical daylight pic. Pocillopora Coral. Sometimes called cabbage

Attachments

• image-1969449815.jpg
    image-1969449815.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 65
  • image-1579669434.jpg
    image-1579669434.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 56
Am I a bad reefkeeper? I have never fed my corals other than my duncans on ocassion. I have never considered feeding my sps, I kinda just let them do their thing.

No Carey. Feeding isn't a necessity. Especially when u have fish. But I don't have fish so the tank isn't getting any other food. Except for what breaks down after my CUC does it's job. My corals seem to b doing well with what few drops of oyster feast I add weekly. They would probably b fine if I added nothing at all

Back
Top Bottom