Feeding Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 55g tank with 2 kissing gouramis, 14 tiger barbs, 1 rainbow shark, and 1 bn pleco

Any suggestions? (variety?)

My feeding schedule is roughly as follows:
Once per day, in the afternoon generally, except for the sinking wafers.
The Hikari algae wafers are fed as they are completely eaten, roughly every other day.

Sunday- Peas or Blanched Zucchini, hikari sinking wafers after lights out
Monday-Omega one Super color flakes, 2 hikari algae wafers, sinking wafers after dark
Tuesday-Flakes, sinking wafers after dark
Wednesday-1 cube frozen bloodworms, algae wafers, sinking wafers
Thursday-Flakes, sinking wafers
Friday-Flakes, Algae wafers, Sinking wafers
Saturday- 1 Cube frozen bloodworms, sinking wafers

Sunday/Monday are lighter feeding days with just veggies, to avoid digestion problems and give variety.

Nothing in my tank eats frozen brine shrimp willingly, I'm sure if they were starving they'd take to it. I've been thinking about getting some guppies/mollies/platys and feeding their fry, but I'm not sure how they would be accepted as food. I have an extra 10g that I would house the breeders in.

WOW, those are spoiled fishies. I feed quailty flakes, and a alage wafer to my community, and NLS cichlid pellets, 2 alage wafers and a random leaf of lettuce once in a while to my SA cichlids. I feed both tanks every other day. There is no need for fry to be fed. Not worth the tank space just for some feeders. They dont have all that much nutrient anways.

WOW, those are spoiled fishies. I feed quailty flakes, and a alage wafer to my community, and NLS cichlid pellets, 2 alage wafers and a random leaf of lettuce once in a while to my SA cichlids. I feed both tanks every other day. There is no need for fry to be fed. Not worth the tank space just for some feeders. They dont have all that much nutrient anways.

Most of it is for the barbs, lol. They're pigs and finish the bloodworm cubes from frozen to eaten in about 30 sec. I won't drop a second one in though.
Between the gouramis and the pleco, the only algae in my tank exists in the input/output hoses of my filter. The barbs outcompete everybody else for anything on the surface, so I feel limited in that aspect.

The stand for the aquarium doesn't seems solid -.-

55g water weight around 450 pounds, so be carefull. Your tank is nice looking.

The beams that run the length of the tank are 1.5x7. There are two of them, with 3 crossmembers measuring 1.5x4. I could probably put a thousand pounds on that stand and it wouldn't buckle. The top solid wood as well and is screwed on. The entire stand is southern yellow pine sealed with polyurethane. The pictures are from construction, the design is unconventional, but works. I'll definitely be using a different design next time I build a stand.

Sorry, I just take great pride in that thing, it's the first piece of furniture I've built.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1391033655454.jpg
    1391033655454.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 1391033884236.jpg
    1391033884236.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 40
  • 1391034090285.jpg
    1391034090285.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 50
Back