Female bettas coming into condition without a male?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glitterous

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a sorority tank at home with 10 female bettas. The fish have been added at two different times, so one group of them is about a year old and the other group is about 6 months old.
All of the females in the year-old group are so full of eggs, they look like they are about to burst and their gravid spots are very pronounced. I haven't seen any vertical barring, but all of the fish have been like this for over a month, if not more.

While I do have a male betta, he is in a totally different room and I do not mix anything from his tank with theirs. Does anyone have an idea why my fish would be ready to breed and is there anything I should do to remedy the situation? They are happy and healthy fish, but if I was that big with eggs, I would be miserable!

my female betta became like this too, im thinking it might be a coming-of-age type thing, but im not exactly sure. however, after a few months of her being like this, she seemed to go down in size. about a month ago, i put her with my male, and they bred and everything went fine, so i dont understand why this happens to them, but if you dont want to breed them, id say just wait it out?

Back
Top Bottom