female cockatoo cichlid with german blue ram fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NiaCas

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm not sure if this is in the right section, but figured it couldn't hurt to post! So a while back I ordered 1 cockatoo cichlid, but was sent two and it turns out one of them was female. So far they've had 2 batches of fry, but they keep disappearing (probably angelfish), so I'm in the process of setting up a 20 gallon long tank just for them. A couple months ago I also bought 2 german blue rams. I was told they were both male...buuut they're not. I've got ram fry now and I expect they'll have disappeared within a couple days. I'm wondering if there's a way to get away with only having to set up 1 tank - the one I'm setting up right now. I thought about a fry only tank, but the female cockatoo cichlid really does love being near her babies, so maybe I can leave her in? She couldn't possibly eat all the ram fry anyway right? But do ram fry need to be near their parents? Hell, could I just add more plants and keep both sets of parents with fry in there? Maybe I'd need a bigger tank for that though :/ Any advice from more experienced people would be awesome!

How big are the ram fry?

If they are newly hatched like hers she may steal them from the rams and raise them herself. Apistogramma are excellent parents, rams....not so much.

Also, you might me OK in a 20L but make sure there are plenty of hiding places or the breeding apistos could kill the rams.

Back
Top Bottom