Female Gourami with Cotton fungus growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrnecro

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, i've had a pair of Dwarf Gourami for around 3 weeks, the male is perfectly fine, however the female around 7 days ago started growing a cotton ball like mass on her pelvic fin, i've put her in a QT and treated with Aquarium salt to help starve the fungus, and have also been using Pimafix, today i did the first round of water changing and used another dose of the pimafix, the 'cotton ball' has gone but she is left with 2 spine like....somethings, im really not sure if this is an area of her fin which should hopefully grow back fully or if the fungus is still there, i have tried my best with the pics but she can be jumpy, any advice much appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCF0197.jpg
    DSCF0197.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF0203.jpg
    DSCF0203.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 21
couple more pics

Attachments

• G1.JPG
    G1.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 17
  • g2.JPG
    g2.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 21
Never seen that before, but it looks like its part of the fin that will hopefully grow back. I would continue to keep her in QT, daily water changes to keep water pristine and aid with recovery.

would you suggest i continue with pimafix after the water changes? or should i stick to pure water changes and monitor her condition?

Im not a fan of pimafix (or melafix) as treatments full stop. They arent effective as treatments, but can help with preventing secondary infections occuring following other issues. From that PoV it wont hurt anything and would help prevent further complications. However Pimafix is an oil based medication and some people report it can adversly affect labyrinthine fish like gourami, so stick to a half dose if you continue use.

Back
Top Bottom