female guppy turning male?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niv

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys. Sorry for the silly question but can female guppies turn male? My google research is inconclusive

The reason I ask is because I have what has appeared to be a female guppy for about four months, i.e bulbous body rather than slim, less colourful tail, prominant black anal spots. But now the tail is starting to get much more colourful. Still bulbous at this poibt but was wondering if this could be the start of a transition?

No female guppie can turn male and noble can turn female, it just looks like it is changing sex because it is developing I gonopodium ( male sexual organ)!

In livebearers there have been cases where male specimens do not develop secondary sexual characteristics until a much, much later period. Until that time they are often viewed as female. When the transition does occur, it is often mistaken as a true gender switch since they are typically adult fish. This has been observed/described in swordtails (seen this myself), however, I would not see why it would not apply with other live bearers.

That's a tough one, I know there are amphibians that can transform male/female and back, as well as some saltwater critters, but never heard/seen guppys doing it. I know they will grow/change evolve as they go along, and also a guppy could have been preggers if she was a female from when you first got her, and she may have finally birthed or ditched.
Bottom line, if their healthy and enjoying themselves, go with it :p-

Thanks for yhe opinions guys. I am not overly worried as they all seem happy at the moment. My only issue is that my ratios will firmly switch male orientated if this ends up being a male. It would br the biggest male I have seen if it is though lol! My only hope now is that the three babies turn out to be female so it evens out a bit!

Back
Top Bottom