Female kenyi and female peacock breeding??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

differenter2000

Aquarium Advice Regular
So today I noticed some weird things happening in my cichlid tank, a female kenyi and a female peacock are breeding... The peacock is actually picking up the eggs and holding them. Can those two different kinds of fish even breed? And they're both females!!! I've had these fish together for the past 9 months and that kenyi has been showing the blue female colours the whole time, and she's 4.5 inches and she's my only kenyi in there so I don't see any reason for a male to keep female colours. Are my fish just weird? Or is this normal? And are the babies going to be messed up? Should I even bother trying to save them? (I wouldn't sell them, just keep them for myself) I'll put some pics of them. The female peacock is the one in front of the Orange male peacock in the first pic (she's the one that looks like a spotted minnow) and in the second pic the kenyi is the one swimming in front of the blue zebra. (Sorry it's not a very good pic)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1459707670.243142.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1459707484.808915.jpg

I have neither peacocks, nor kenyi, but it's an interesting story. With no males, I don't see how the eggs could be fertile, but I'll be interested to know how it turns out. Please keep us posted.

I have neither peacocks, nor kenyi, but it's an interesting story. With no males, I don't see how the eggs could be fertile, but I'll be interested to know how it turns out. Please keep us posted.

I'll let you know how this turns out. I'm pretty interested. It'll be pretty weird if I do get babies though.

Any mouthbrooder can breed with any other mouthbrooder, hence the reason for so many hybrids in the assorted tanks at petstores.

Back
Top Bottom