Ferromagnetic sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lucavicini

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I recently setup a tank. It's a fairly standard configuration with an external canister filter. I used RO water remineralised by adding salts (specifically a product called Osmose ReMineral+). Two weeks ago I added decorations, plants and bacterial additives to start the cycle.

3 day ago I added several corrydoras, and few guppies. They are now dying like flies. Testing the water I cannot see anything wrong. Ph is 7.3, and practically no levels of nitrates, nitrites and chlorine.

This morning I discovered accidentally that the black sand that I am using is ferromagnetic (the sand is clearly attracted by a magnet) meaning that it contains fairly high doses of iron or nickel. The bags of the sand are clearly labeled "aquarium/terrarium friendly". Could be the sand the origin of my problem? I ordered a water metal level test through mail, but it will take several days before I receive it.

What do you think?

Cheers
Luca

Black Diamond blasting sand which is fairly highly recommended in aquariums seems to have some magnetic particles in it as well. Nobody has mentioned any possible problems due to it.

Guys, you were right!

I bought a new set of tests, including iron, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites. The tests kit that I was using had expired 2 years ago.
The results is that while the level of ammonia and iron where at tolerable levels, nitrates and nitrites where up to the roof with nitrites at 2mg/l.

No wonders that the mortality rate was so high.

I just did a 50% water change and started to use a new bottle of Seachem stability (the bottle of fluval cycle that I used before was pretty old).

Let's see how it will evolve...

Well, the most affected (surprisingly) were the guppies. They have a reputation of being tough, but in my case they were almost totally decimated. Second most affected were the different types of tetra. Small corydoras and culies took few casualties as well.

Totally unaffected were the Siamese flying foxes, and larger corydoras. No problems for nerite snails and phantom shrimps.

Well, the most affected (surprisingly) were the guppies. They have a reputation of being tough, but in my case they were almost totally decimated. Second most affected were the different types of tetra. Small corydoras and culies took few casualties as well.

Totally unaffected were the Siamese flying foxes, and larger corydoras. No problems for nerite snails and phantom shrimps.

The guppies can actually be quite fragile fish depending on how well they have been kept. My stock of guppies are extremely sensitive because they were inbred soo much.

It is quite interesting how genetics play a part in these matters. I travelled extensively in South East Asia, and people there use guppies for adorning vases. They drop frys in the stagnant water in a vase holder. The little things not only survive in less than half a litre of water (no pumps or filters), feeding only on algae and plant particles from the vase dirt, but they reproduce. In that environment water changes are coming from the occasional thunderstorm. This lead me to believe that guppies in the wild are quite resistant...

I still have a problem and fish are still dying.

The nitrite levels are still very high (almost 2mg/l). I do a 30% water change daily (sometime 50%when nitrite levels are up to the roof). Straight after the water change I add the recommended dose of "seachem stability" (One cap every 80l).
The next day ammonia and nitrites go back to the same level than the day before... I stopped feeding the aquarium a couple of days ago but this doesn't help.

I have been doing this for a week, but I cannot find a way to curb the NO2... It looks like the nitrification cycle doesn't really start.

It's a 240l aquarium with a fluval 305 canister filter.

Any product that I can use at least to protect the fish?
HELP!

The nitrite levels are still very high (almost 2mg/l). I do a 30% water change daily (sometime 50%when nitrite levels are up to the roof). Straight after the water change I add the recommended dose of "seachem stability" (One cap every 80l).
The next day ammonia and nitrites go back to the same level than the day before... I stopped feeding the aquarium a couple of days ago but this doesn't help.

I have been doing this for a week, but I cannot find a way to curb the NO2... It looks like the nitrification cycle doesn't really start.

HELP!

Using stability will make you have nitrites (if its working properly) & once you've done the full 7 days of dosing you should be able to get them down. I would do multiple water changes in the same day, 50% each. Do one, wait an hour or two then do another. Have you tested your tap?

Hi shellieca,

I tested the tap water and there are no traces of nitrates, nitrites or ammonia. It is nevertheless extremely hard with a ph around 8 to 8.5. I will try to do what you say. I only hope that this wont stop the nitrifying bacteria to colonise the filter.

Hi shellieca,

I tested the tap water and there are no traces of nitrates, nitrites or ammonia. It is nevertheless extremely hard with a ph around 8 to 8.5. I will try to do what you say. I only hope that this wont stop the nitrifying bacteria to colonise the filter.

My Ph is high like that as well & its not caused me issues, that shouldn't be causing the problem. What water conditioner are you using? Prime is great & most recommended on here. If you're using a good water conditioner it won't hurt your BB. I've been through the fish IN cycle & it can get very frustrating to say the least.

HELP!

The nitrification cycle is getting going if you are having nitrites. How are your nitrate levels looking? Also, a 30% water change isn't going to do a whole lot to fix your nitrite problem. I would at minimum do a 50% and probably in your shoes I would do multiple 50% changes.

As for products, some ammonia absorbing chips should help a lot or prime will detoxify the nitrites.

Hello,

I am using "Tetra AquaSafe water conditioner". I tend to overdo a bit and I use about 30% more than the recommended dose.

I just did a 50% water change on the aquarium. I will try to do another 50% in 3 hours. Let's see how this is progressing. Weekend helping I will be able to do this on a regular schedule....

Hello,
After repeated water changes and patience, I have the feeling that the cycle started, since my levels of ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are constant and ok.

Nevertheless many fish are still dying. I am trying to narrow down the problem.
At the beginning I thought it might be lack of oxygen. But in my case fish are not going to the surface gasping for air.

Another possibility is the water temperature (presently around 29C, extremely high). The room where the aquarium is located doesn't have air conditioning therefore I have troubles in lowering the water temperature.

Could the temperature be the reason?

Cheers
Luca

that temperature isn't too extreme so shouldn't have that much effect on the fish. What are your ammonia and nitrite levels hanging around at?

According to the test I am using now, they are 0 or close to zero. I will buy today a kit from a different manufacturer in order to rule out any possible test problems

As mebbid stated the tank temp isn't bad. However if the new water has a drastically different temp it could shock the fish. How do you temp match the new water with the tank water? I go by feel & its usually within a couple of degrees of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom