Fertilizer dosing and Nitrate levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Changy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Been wondering if anyone can shed some light on what level (ppm) of Nitrate in an un-fertilized tank should you start adding N-ferts? Could it be when the Nitrate level reads zero?

Here is what I am thinking... I am assuming all the Ammonia and Nitrites in the tank are consumed by beneficial bacteria, leaving the Nitrate level to rise and eventually reach equilibrium. I have also read that eventually Nitrates are dissipated by turing into Nitrogen gas. So, given commercial fertilizers can be made from Ammonium Nitrate, aquatic plants should be consuming some of the Nitrate produced in a cycled tank.

In a planted tank you want your nitate level between 10-20ppms. I prefer running my 220g at a 10ppm level. Plants use ammonia but nitrates will usually be used up if none are added via ferts. You really don't want your tank to run at a nitrate level under 10. It's also know that nitrate levels under 10ppm in planted tanks makes the tank more prone to having Cyanobateria issues. Not saying you will get it under that level but it makes your tank more suitable for the cyano to take hold. You also want phospate levels at .5-1ppm.

Thanks a lot for your advice Rivercats. I always thought it was only Nitrate that was used by plants. I'll watch for my Nitrate levels dropping below 10ppm and get myself a phosphate testing kit soon.

Back
Top Bottom