fertilizer help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exactionfigure

Aquarium Advice Activist
I put plants my 20 gallon about a month ago and they have been doing good for the most part I have a few questions about some of them but I’ll save that until after. Here is a picture I just took:

img_709289_0_b231460e26e28b91630227119100a87a.jpg

(I have lots of green algae on my glass and on my anubias but I just ordered some ottos from my lfs and they should be in on Wednesday so hopefully they will take care of it when they come in)

My question is about fertilizing right now I’m using Seachem Flourish but nothing else, I realize now that that only contains micronutrients and I need Macro nutrients too

So my question is what else do I need to use?
I'd like to stick to the same brand so seachem stuff would be best.

from what I’ve read in addition to flourish I also need: Nitrogen, Potassium, and Phosphorus so I was just about to order the seachem bottles of this stuff but I wanted to make sure I don't need anything else.

The Seachem fertilizers are very good. I use the Flourish Comprehensive for micronutrients and I'm happy with it.

You could order the rest of the Seachem ferts. Be aware that you may use up the bottle quickly in larger tanks, and it is a bit expensive in the long run. In a low to medium light tank, you might not go through the ferts as quickly as a higher light tank.

A lot of members here use dry fertilizers from
Greg Watson. You can mix these dry ferts up with water or some people dose them dry into the tank. They would last a lot longer than the Seachem bottles.

If you see round green spots right on the glass, that can be a sign of phosphate deficiency.

Beautiful tank! I like the frilly plant in the middle but I don't know what it is. I was thinking myrio species but that's a higher light plant.

looks like hornwort planted to me??

I think i'd advise goin for the dry ferts too, although seachem are great buying dry ferts will last you loads and loads and loads longer! Plus if you ever decide to upgrade to a higher light tank you'll be more acustommed to dosing dry ferts and you'll already have them handy :)

Oh forgot to say, love the tank, that driftwood just looks awesome!

Thanks guys!
I'm really hoping the Java moss and micro swords will cover the ground and the giant java fern in the back left comes up again, then my tank will be complete.

The plant in the front is Green Foxtail (Myriophyllum pinnatum)

The tank is 20 gallons and my light is 65 watts so that puts me just over 3 wpg which I think makes it a high light tank.

I actually ordered the seachem stuff already but when it runs out I’ll look into getting dry ferts.

How do you guys feel about not testing?
If I add the recommended amounts and not worry about it unless my plants aren't doing well. Is that crazy?

I've been doing that with c02 and so far so good (my plants are growing well and my fish are breathing fine)

I don't know if that’s a dumb idea but I just don't like the idea of stressing about the levels in my tank all the time.

That is what I do. I add enough ferts to more than satisfy the plants and judge by the growth and if I get algae what I need to adjust. It works very well for me. I only test KH and PH to check on my COP2 levels. I have not run any other test in months. The tank looks good to me and my fish are happy and healthy.

This is called EI estimative index and is what Mr. Barr aka Plantbrain here, recommends.

Back
Top Bottom