fertilizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanS180

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just recently went out and bought "Flourish" products. Nitrogen, Potassium and Phosphorous, anyone ever use these products before??

Dose according to instructions. Be careful with the nitrogen, you don't want to overdose and cause nitrate issues. If this is for your 180 gallon this stuff will end up costing you a fortune. Look into dry ferts and the methods to dose them (it's not hard).

blert said:
Dose according to instructions. Be careful with the nitrogen, you don't want to overdose and cause nitrate issues. If this is for your 180 gallon this stuff will end up costing you a fortune. Look into dry ferts and the methods to dose them (it's not hard).

Any particular brands you recommend? I'm still new to ferts lol :/

It should be on the site. They describe each method and how to calculate what u need by volume. Go to the site and root around, you'll see. I was lead to the very same product from AA and it works great and a lot less expensive!!

mohican said:
It should be on the site. They describe each method and how to calculate what u need by volume. Go to the site and root around, you'll see. I was lead to the very same product from AA and it works great and a lot less expensive!!

Ok I'll look into the site when I can get to my laptop, I'm on my phone lol.

So it does well for your plants?? Any pictures?? :)

Not the best representation, but here is my 75 gallon using those ferts with EI dosing:

9826-albums6967-picture38297.jpg

My 28 using the same ferts and dosing:

9826-albums6967-picture38298.jpg

rkilling1,
Those have come a long way! Very nice. Just my opinion but, the 75 could use a couple mid-ground sized plants.

rkilling1 said:
Not the best representation, but here is my 75 gallon using those ferts with EI dosing:

My 28 using the same ferts and dosing:

Wow they look amazing! :) hope mine turn out that well! :)

boadams87 said:
Comprehensive has all those same ingredients, and you only need 1 bottle.

This is true, minus macros, but... For small tanks the commercial liquid ferts are all well and good, but Dan has a 180 gallon tank. He will burn through a bottle of that stuff in a month or less. Dry ferts are much more economic and not any more difficult to dose once you have a set routine.

Yeah I'm gonna look into getting the dry stuff, ive already dosed my tank twice with the liquid stuff and one if the bottles in almost half way gone bc it takes like 6 capfuls per dose lol and at $8.99 a bottle that's way too expensive in the long run

Are there any dry ferts that can be bought at LFS like uncle bills, petco/petsmart?

At Pet*****, not a chance. Regular LFS, highly doubtful but you could give them a call. You could try local nurseries or hydroponic shops. Follow the link to GreenLeafAquariums and it will give you the names of the compounds to ask for. If you do find them local it will probably cost a bunch more as they won't do near the volume of sales that the online sellers do. You might even find someone here in the classifieds that would be willing to sell you some.

Back
Top Bottom