Ferts question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'd say my tanks is probably what you'd consider 'medium planted' with those listed below.

I'm still seeing deficiency problems despite dosing 2 x the recommended PPS PRO dose. I could increase it but I'm just wondering are you guys all dosing x2 or x3 (or more!) of the standard dose? Just seems like a lot? I know it's normal to tweak levels but I was thinking it would be like adding 10% or 20% or something not several hundred percent?!!!

Do you think I need more or maybe it's that I need co2? (Am thinking about getting pressurized but just reading about all you need to know is making my head spin and I don't think I'm very good at this......suspect I'll have nothing but more frustration/confusion and dead fish...!).

Here's my setup:

60g long, vals, ferns, swords, hygros, pygmy chains, water wisteria.

Using PPS PRO 10ml daily. Metricide 12.5ml daily (neat)

Lighting 2 x T5HO 54w lights.

So to clarify my question are:

1. Is it normal to have need more than 2 times the standard dose on a tank that is only medium planted?

2. Do you think maybe the problem is co2 not ferts?

I'll add a pic of the tank shortly so you can see how planted it is.....

hmm... I'm curious if overdosing with ferts would be harmful as well. Nice plants though.

What deficiency's? Yellow leaves, pinholes...? We are gonna need some guideline here ;)

Sent per three-eyed raven..

What deficiency's? Yellow leaves, pinholes...? We are gonna need some guideline here ;)

I agree with Sam. The answer is on the plants.

That's some great looking plants for a tank doing bad lol.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

You should measure the nitrate and phosphate. Double or triple dosing is not bad but may not be necessary.
Not sure if CO2 is necessary (you did not mention an algae problem). Plus, you are dosing glut and not killing the Vals so that's a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are you using any root tablets for the root feeders?

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Happy to give more info!

Hygros - the leaves at the bottoms start turning brown and eventually melt/disappear.
Water wisteria - doesn't seem to be growing very quickly for a supposedly quick growing plant?
Sunset hygros - just barely grow, bottom leaves go brown and melt and the new leaves are all stunted and look like they've been eaten.
Ferns - black patches and eventually melting away.
Anubias - melting away.
Rotala - slow growth, stems looking a bit black, leaves dark and transparent (might be a light issue?)
Java fern - tons of hair algae.

Thanks for the compliments - it looks pretty decent from a distance but when you get close up you can see all the issues! About the only plants thriving are the vals (the glut got them at first but they adapted) and the pygmy swords both of which are growing well.

I don't know if it's a ferts or co2 issue but the other reason I was going to get co2 is since I've been dosing the glut I've consistently been losing a fish once about every 2 weeks. If I reduce the glut I notice the plants suffering.

Anyway, the keep the thread on topic, please let me know what you think re these deficiencies. Thanks!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428982603.211438.jpg
Java fern leaf in the middle going black with melted parts
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428982765.001436.jpg
Hydra going brown
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428982901.865425.jpg
Stunted growth sunset hygra

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What is your lighting wattage? Did you bury the rhizome of the anubias? Lower leaf melt is quite common with inadequate lighting (been there done that). The top leaves will block of the light to the lower ones.
Are you adding any form of co2/glut? Stunted growth is mostly due to lack of calcium/carbon dioxide.

What is your lighting wattage? Did you bury the rhizome of the anubias? Lower leaf melt is quite common with inadequate lighting (been there done that). The top leaves will block of the light to the lower ones.
Are you adding any form of co2/glut? Stunted growth is mostly due to lack of calcium/carbon dioxide.

Thanks I've seen that chart but have never quite figured out the problem. Hopefully you're right that it's light or co2 as yesterday I ordered a new Finnex Ray2 (48") and pressurized co2!! I'm super excited! I'm hoping this will solve my problems so I guess I'll get it up and running and see what happens.

Thanks for all the input I'll let you know how it goes!

Did you use co2/glut before? You should definitely be set now :) keep us updated!

Did you use co2/glut before? You should definitely be set now :) keep us updated!

Yes - 12.5ml a day of metricide (neat). Since then plants doing much better but fish not so much! I keep losing fish......another reason I'm going to co2 as I think that glut is nasty stuff!! Hopefully my fishies will like my co2 investment. :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom