Festivum tearing up my amazon swords

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had my tank for about 6 months so far. It started pretty bare but currently it is pretty densely planted. For the last week I've noticed holes in some of my amazon sword leaves. At first it was 1 or 2, then 3 to 4, and now it's up to about 6. I at first thought potassium deficiency, but there is no yellowing around the holes; they just look like something bit it.

This was all around the same time I replaced my female convict with a female festivum. After a brief search I found that festivums commonly tear up plants, unless it is something they don't like, such as java fern or crypts.

My question was, is there anything to prevent or reduce the occurrence of this happening? I already had to trim and most likely will remove my jungle val in the next week because she tore it up bad.

Find a new home for the fish. Once a plant destroyer always a plant destroyer. You can try to put a leaf of lettuce in there a couple times a week, maybe it will help defuse the urge to eat the plants. I had a densely planted tank, took forever to get it growing and where I wanted it. Then I got a uaru, and he destroyed them all within a month.

Find a new home for the fish. Once a plant destroyer always a plant destroyer. You can try to put a leaf of lettuce in there a couple times a week, maybe it will help defuse the urge to eat the plants. I had a densely planted tank, took forever to get it growing and where I wanted it. Then I got a uaru, and he destroyed them all within a month.

My Uaru destroyed every last piece of my jungle Val, which was as tall as my 75 gallon and about 6 in cubed (at least, probably more)surface area when all bunched together. My festivum also bites holes in my ocelot swords, although my Uaru doesn't seem to like those. But she did also eat my dwarf lily :( lol

Ah, I was hoping not to hear that. Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to attempt to find some plants she won't tear up before I think about taking her back. I'm a bit upset because I spent about $40+ on the plants, as well as $50+ for liquid fertilizers/root tabs, and the festivum was only 8 bucks. I've taken a liking to the festivum though so It's a rough lesson I guess.

Yup, me too, I was well over $500 deep between the lights,frets,substrate, and plants. It was a huge disappointment. My uaru even destroyed java fern and Anubis.

Back
Top Bottom