Few questions - cloudy water etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Becket

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys, again, great site

I have had my tank for a little over a month now and have been monitoring the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels every day and doing water changes as needed. I think the cycling is starting to finish because it is taking longer for the nitrites to raise....does that make sense?

Also, I have a small 5.5 gal tank and every time I do a water change the water seems to have a brown tinge to it. I have a small piece of driftwood from my lfs and have rinsed it off and even soaked it in boiling water etc....but it is still turning my water brown (at least I think its the driftwood).

There is also some brownish algae type buildup on one of the rocks. I was considering getting an algae eating fish (Plecostomus?) to see if that would help but I think my tank already has too many fish especially if its cycling. I have 4 small angelfish and 2 small blueberry tetras and 1 neon tetra.

Any suggestions for my discoloured water and the algae buildup?

Thanks

Becket

I moved this thread to a FW board. Good luck in getting your answers.

Well the brown color of your water is due to the tannins in the driftwood. It's perfectly harmless but it will make the water slightly acidic. This just means the driftwood needs a bit more soaking. The brownish algae is diatoms, these always occur in a new or cycling tank. When your tank is established it will go away don't worry. In the mean time if you really don't like it just clean it off.

You could boil the driftwood to help with the tannins. Add AC to your filter that will help with the color.

Hi Becket!

To answer your questions...
When nitrite levels no longer rise quickly, it's a sign that the cycle is progressing nicely. However, the tank isn't cycled until there are nitrates present AND the ammonia and nitrite levels are 0.

As everyone else said, the brownish water is caused by tannins in the driftwood - harmless, and the brown algae is diatoms - also harmless.

You mentioned in another post that you can't get a bigger tank right now because of cash/space constraints.
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but the angelfish will not work in a 5.5 gal tank...not even one. Angelfish grow real fast, need lots of swimming room, and get aggressive as they mature.

I had two nickel sized angels grow two inches in three months while they were in my 15 gal. I moved them into my 58 gal with three smaller angelfish, fully aware that I will not be able to keep all five indefinitely.

I would return the angels and replace them with a two more neons and maybe a trio of dwarf corys.

Back
Top Bottom