Fibers on Crocea Clam???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MKFMedic

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a Crocea Calm that is in my 34 gallon mixed reef aquarium. It has recently sprouted fibers on the clam shell portion just underneath the mantle. I can easily pull them off the shell. They are only growing on one side of the clam shell. I can easily pull of the filament like fibers, but have no idea what they may be, and don't want to hurt the clam. The clam appears healthy. I have done many searches on the internet and these forums with no luck. I have attached a quick iPhone Pic for your reference. The Pic is in my dark office, making the sand around the clam appear to be dirty due to the low light, and nighttime LED settings.

Water parameters are all normal.

Nitrates less than 5
Nitrites 0
pH 8.3
Ammonia 0

I have LED (Ecotech) lighting and good water flow. All of my LPS and two SPS corals are doing fine. I use a Kalk solution in my RO/DI top-off water.

My livestock consists of two clowns (Black & White | Orange & White Percula) which are paired, two chromis, a Diamond Goby and the typical CUC for a tank my size.

I am not all that worried, but more or less curious as to what these may be? Unless of course, you tell me otherwise! :)As always, any advice, answers, suggestions or feedback is greatly appreciated!

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 160
I have Eco rays as well. My clam would never stay up on the rocks. Finally I found a flat small piece of lr and he attached to it on the sandbed. However- I never had any growth like that. Odd.

Set on a Rock? The local fish store guys told me it would be O.K. on the sand, and this is where he has been for the last 5 or 6 months, but I'm not opposed to placing him on a rock. His "foot" is firmly attached to either the bottom of the tank or wedged in the sand, so it is set firmly in place. The clam will actually change its position throughout the day.

At first, when I saw these I thought it was some type of algae, but when I pinched some off I found that they were fibrous, more like filament. Then I considered that it might have something to do with the growth of the clam?

I've attached a couple of more pictures, hopefully a little better for a closer look.

Thanks,

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 85
Back
Top Bottom