Fiddler crab molted and ruined its eye?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JHZR2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

My fidler crab is about an inch across. Lives with three serpae tetras and a zebra danio. Everyone leaves everyone else alone.

My crab molted for the second time today. When it was done, its left eye had a big blob of white goop on it (right on the tip or end of its eye). This goop hasnt gone away since. The fish leave the crab alone, and havent been going after it, nor has the crab been picking or messing with it.

COuld it have been that when the crab molted, it ripped part of its eye off, and this si some sort of protective coating? Is there anything I ought to do to protec the crab's eye? Should I remove the crab and try to gently get this stuff off?

Do you think my crab will be able to use its eye again? It currently keeps that eye down and to the side, not up and high like it usually keeps its eyes.

Thanks for any info/advice,

JMH

wait a couple of days, maybe it'll just go away. If it doesn't the crab is screwed, so ummm what you do then is boil a pot of water, put the crab in there and serve it with butter :lol:

j/k but seriously though, i don't know anything about crabs :mrgreen:

I dont think a crab that is 1 inch across would be very good eating :lol:

Ill hope for the best

JMH

It's possible that after molting some of the other fish picked on it. Right after molting for a few days I believe, their shell is soft and vulnerable. Serpae tetras are very nippy so it's possible that the serpaes nipped at it. Give it a few days, if the eye isn't better that may be the case.

Back
Top Bottom