fiddler crabs and tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
allaboutfish said:
well that's discouraging.

Don't get to down about it. They're hard to come by. Nobody knows how to captive breed them so they're all wild caught. Takes time. But in the end you have something more that a WalMart fish. To me its worth the wait.

allaboutfish said:
well that's discouraging.

You can buy them from liveaquaria.com and from aquabid.com from time to time. But I'm not sure how they are shipped, be it fresh or brackish water. So for me, I'm waiting to get one local so I know for sure before hand how they are going to arrive. I prefer freshwater so I can acclimate them slowly to my own brackish setup instead of worrying about varrying salinities. If you I knew someone and was able to find out beforehand, then it would be a different story all together.

There are a lot of LFS in my area, but the LFS who is ordering my figure 8 is 30 miles away. You really have to do some searching around on Google for a place that sell brackish fish.

allaboutfish said:
back to the green spotteds. do they really need saltwater? i've never heard that.

Yes. They are born in freshwater. As they mature they move up the river systems towards the delta and mangroves. As they make their way down the river the salinity changes the closer it gets to the mouth of the delta. As they reach maturity they are closest to the ocean and then become full marine fish. People have kept them in freshwater, but its not healthy for them. Their lifespan will be reduced and the overall health will decline.

well i wasnt going to keep them in freshwater. i was thinking brackish. can you do corals and live rock with them?

allaboutfish said:
well i wasnt going to keep them in freshwater. i was thinking brackish. can you do corals and live rock with them?

Once fully matured, absolutely.

allaboutfish said:
what about pea puffers any info on those?

Pea puffers or dwarf puffers are freshwater only. They come from south American river systems and will do fine in smaller setups. Rule of thumb is 10 gallons for the first fish and 5 thereafter. You will still have some possible aggression issues and need alot of broken lines of sight. Also best to keep it 1 male per two or three females.

hit the dwarfpuffers forum.

I've always thought they were too small, but one puffer per 5 gallon sounds appealing.

I may have that backwards.. may be 5 gallons for one and 10 gallons each additional. Always better to have the most room possible with any aggressive fish.

allaboutfish said:
i saw a deal on aquapid for 6 for 30 dollars but that would be too many for a 20 gallon right?

Yeah pretty much. I would do 3 Max in a 20. That's the hard part about small puffers. They are very rarely captive bred and usually sold in groups to maximize income on sales.

i think ill get a 40 gallon breeder and then in a couple years ill get my mom's friend to help me make it saltwater. for the green spotted.

As long as you do what's in the best interest of the animals you keep, you can never go wrong. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Back
Top Bottom