Fiddler Crabs Tank is Cloudy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NinjaFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Help! My Fiddler Crabs brackish water is cloudy! I tried to look through it but i couldn't see anything. Can anyone help me?

did you let the tank cycle before putting them in?

I would do about 60% now and then 50% within the next twelve hours. Do this everyday until the water becomes clear

I didn't I poured tap water, added the water purifier, waited 5 minutes, added the sea salt, then put fiddlers in. Is that bad? Sorry for being such a noob at this. How do I cycle my tank?

You have to wait for the salt to dissolve :(

I'm not experienced with brackish water at all so my suggestion is to keep doing pwcs. Try to search on this forum of what to do

henryprice said:
What does pwc mean?

PWC-partial water change

Brackish water should be clear just like a marine tank. The cloud might be the salt not dissolved or bacteria forming in your tank look up the nitrogen cycle. You will need to cycle your tank. If you can I would bring back the crab until you do this because a fishless cycle is way less work and is also much quicker. You will need to buy an API master test kit for fresh water, that is what I use on my brackish tank. You can find is at amost all LFS's petco and petsmart have them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

The first time I brought home fiddlers I had no idea what I was doing and they did not last long. Did you use sand substrate? If so, what kind of sand is it? Did you rinse it well? Fiddlers will not make it through your tank cycling. Please return them to the store and research the nitrogen cycle and fishless cycling or there is much misery ahead for them. Also you want to make sure their tank is set up so they have access to air. They are not fully aquatic crabs and will not live long if they can't dry out.

Back
Top Bottom