Fiddler crabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheMurrays

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just because I'm curious... Does anyone know anything about fiddler crabs? I've been trying to find some info online, but there isn't much. So far, I know they need brackish water, some land area, and that fish can be kept with them because they do not eat fish. I recently saw a tank at a lfs with crabs and fish, and it was awesome! They had a filter running through a waterfall (which was really expensive of course!). I'd love to recreate this in a more inexpensive way, but I don't have ideas for running a filter in half a tank of water. Ideas? Suggestions? Not sure if I'll try it, but it never hurts to brainstorm, right?

Just because I'm curious... Does anyone know anything about fiddler crabs? I've been trying to find some info online, but there isn't much. So far, I know they need brackish water, some land area, and that fish can be kept with them because they do not eat fish. I recently saw a tank at a lfs with crabs and fish, and it was awesome! They had a filter running through a waterfall (which was really expensive of course!). I'd love to recreate this in a more inexpensive way, but I don't have ideas for running a filter in half a tank of water. Ideas? Suggestions? Not sure if I'll try it, but it never hurts to brainstorm, right?

They are pretty easy to take care of, and it seems like you have the basics down, with the brackish water, some dry land, and them being fish friendly. Always remember though, if it's big enough to fit in ones mouth, they will eat it ha ha.

Also for your waterfall idea, I say for an inexpensive alternative is to get an HOB filter, and somehow hide it maybe behind rocks or such and stack them up. Get what I'm saying?

Also make sure the tank has enough room, they are a little more picky on room then fish, either get a couple, or a herd.

Also they like to burrow under the substrate, so I suggest using something fine like sand. Also make sure you can make it around a foot and a half to two feet in substrate. If not, you can just make them some caves, probably a lot better chose for smaller tanks.

Feeding is easy, hermit crab food works perfectly fine, no point to spending money on expensive, unneeded food.

Besides that I think that's all you'll need to know.

Hope that helps,
Ben

They are pretty easy to take care of, and it seems like you have the basics down, with the brackish water, some dry land, and them being fish friendly. Always remember though, if it's big enough to fit in ones mouth, they will eat it ha ha.

I love bumblebee gobies... Do you think they would be too small? I'm thinking no less than a 20 gal, with one male crab and maybe three females?

I love bumblebee gobies... Do you think they would be too small? I'm thinking no less than a 20 gal, with one male crab and maybe three females?

That should be fine for the number of crabs. For the gobies though, last I knew they only get up to about an inch in length, which is the same size as dwarf shrimp. I'm pretty sure the crabs eat shrimp, but I'm not positive on that. If they do though, anything in that range would be put up to danger. I'm not saying it's an absolute no, but it's a risk.

I read that fiddlers are scavengers... That they eat "organic matter" found in the sand. Next time I see a fiddler I will check to see how big their mouth is!

Alright, upon a little more in-depth research I found out something pretty obvious ha ha.

Most shrimp and small fish will be okay with the crab as tank mates. This isn't because the crab won't try, because he will, it's because the fish and shrimp are too fast. Anything he can get into his claw he'll eat, or try to, but most fish can swim and dart away with ease from a slow crab. Also the personality of the crab has a lot to do with it to, which you cannot just see.

So pretty much it's trial 'n' error. Throw what you want in there, if they don't get along, they don't, if they do, then your happy :)

Depending on the size tank u decide on... Would depend on the filter u would need and actually the waterfall filters are called repto filters and they come in different price ranges as do the HOBs... ( Cool idea with the HOB btw) crabs would be cool or newts :D ( I'm so going to be jealous of u if u get one of these wet/ dry tanks!!!) lol

Depending on the size tank u decide on... Would depend on the filter u would need and actually the waterfall filters are called repto filters and they come in different price ranges as do the HOBs... ( Cool idea with the HOB btw) crabs would be cool or newts :D ( I'm so going to be jealous of u if u get one of these wet/ dry tanks!!!) lol

So I told my husband about the HOB idea, but he was concerned that the filter wouldn't work right without a full tank. I had one that when the water got below the "fill line" (or whatever it's called) it would stop pumping water though (which is bad for the filter).

I'm thinking a 20 gal, cuz. :) I might see how much the repto filters are. I would want a decent one. Also I still need room for sand, and any running water is going to mess that up. We are brainstorming ideas to keep the "beach" built. Thinking about getting some large rocks, filling in holes with gravel, and covering it all with sand.

And if it works out, you should be jealous. :D

P.S. Can you just see the money racking up? Haha... I need to take out a loan!

Any ideas on some other brackish fish? Ones that are small, obviously, and that are fairly easy to take care of?

Bumblebee gobies are one,
They are great little guys only getting around a 1.5 inches.
Just make sure to get the Brachygobius xanthozona (Perfect Black Lines, unbroken) type than the Brachygobius nunus (Less well banded strips, a broken line or spot occasionally). Brachygobius xanthozona is best suited for brackish while Brachygobius nunus is more suited for fresh.
For more info, go here: 10 Things to Know About Gobies: Bumblebee Gobies, by Peter McKane

TheMurrays said:
So I told my husband about the HOB idea, but he was concerned that the filter wouldn't work right without a full tank. I had one that when the water got below the "fill line" (or whatever it's called) it would stop pumping water though (which is bad for the filter).

I'm thinking a 20 gal, cuz. :) I might see how much the repto filters are. I would want a decent one. Also I still need room for sand, and any running water is going to mess that up. We are brainstorming ideas to keep the "beach" built. Thinking about getting some large rocks, filling in holes with gravel, and covering it all with sand.

And if it works out, you should be jealous. :D

P.S. Can you just see the money racking up? Haha... I need to take out a loan!

Pool filter sand is the cheapest. U can get it for around 5-8 bucks at home depot and it's awesome!!

Lots of fish can be brackish actually...
Most brackish fish are fresh water at the LFS Sony have to acclimate them ( drip is best)
Mollies can be brackish ... I believe a lot of livebearers I not all can be brackish someone can correct me on this.

At first I thought brackish was half aquarium salt half fresh but make sure bc I believe it's half marine salt and half freshwater.... Not positive but that's an important question..

Guppies are not (Yes, they can handle salt in the aquarium, but not marine salt, aquarium salt. also not brackish). Flagfish on the other hand, I'm not positive, but I see them mostly in FW setups

Crypto said:
Guppies are not (Yes, they can handle salt in the aquarium, but not marine salt, aquarium salt. also not brackish). Flagfish on the other hand, I'm not positive, but I see them mostly in FW setups

Yeah they have to be acclimated to it :D k
I'll keep looking! Lol

Brackish Names in Alphabetical Order Prices Info

Archer Fish
Arrowhead Puffer Fish

Black Fin Shark, White Tip Shark Catfish

Columbian Shark, White Tip Shark Catfish

Fahaka Puffer Fish
Fan Dancer Goby
Figure Eight Puffer Fish
Finger Fish, Mono. Sebae
Freshwater Dwarf Puffer Fish
Freshwater Flounder X

Gar, Silver Needlenose
Goby, Fan Dancer
Green Scats

Mbu Puffer Fish
Monos., Monodactylus

Needle Nose Gar (Needlenose)

Puffer Fish

Orange Chromide Cichlid X
Red Eye Puffer Fish

Scats
Sebae, Monodactylus
Silver Needle Nose (Needlenose) Gar
Silver Scats

U also also have to consider tank size and cut it waaaaay down ... Most or none of these will work :(
White Tip Shark Catfish

Brackish Names in Alphabetical Order Prices Info

Archer Fish
Arrowhead Puffer Fish

Black Fin Shark, White Tip Shark Catfish

Columbian Shark, White Tip Shark Catfish

Fahaka Puffer Fish
Fan Dancer Goby
Figure Eight Puffer Fish
Finger Fish, Mono. Sebae
Freshwater Dwarf Puffer Fish
Freshwater Flounder X

Gar, Silver Needlenose
Goby, Fan Dancer
Green Scats

Mbu Puffer Fish
Monos., Monodactylus

Needle Nose Gar (Needlenose)

Puffer Fish

Orange Chromide Cichlid X
Red Eye Puffer Fish

Scats
Sebae, Monodactylus
Silver Needle Nose (Needlenose) Gar
Silver Scats

White Tip Shark Catfish
Make sure to link that info if it was copied off the internet ;)

Back
Top Bottom