Fiddler crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SamuraiGaidin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had 2 crabs and after we put new decorations in the tank they had a spot to climb up and get some air. They were alright for 2 days but then the female died. I looked at them in the morning and she didn't look right. I waved my finger in front of her but she didn't react. So I poked her and she was limp and fell back into the water. She died on top of the plant. Is it possible that she dried out and died because of it?

Nothing in reality makes sense except in the light of magic.

Attachments

• 1435581071703.jpg
    1435581071703.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 75
Does your tank have aquarium salt? Fiddler crabs spend more time on land then in water, so drying out is not a problem. They need brackish water and a calcium source. Do you have both of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Like said above, fiddler crabs need brackish water and won't survive long in full freshwater. Also, I'm not sure if the one little spot of air on the plant is enough for them. Fiddler crabs spend more time on land than in the water and they need to be able to move around on soft, dry sand.

Yea. I do not have brackish water and as far as calcium.... I could pour some milk in there. Lol. JK. OK time to rehome the last crab.

Nothing in reality makes sense except in the light of magic.

Haha let's hope it's not lactose intolerant ;) but for real you could just grind up a cuddle bone

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom